Two shot in East Baltimore Victim found near recent crime site BALTIMORE CITY

April 16, 1993|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

Two men were seriously injured in separate East Baltimore shootings last night. One occurred within two blocks of where a gunman shot 12 people Saturday.

The earlier shooting yesterday occurred about 7:40 p.m. in the 700 block of E. 20th St. when a gunman shot a man once in each leg, said Lt. Wayne Wilson of the Eastern District. The multiple shooting Saturday was in the 500 block of E. 21st St. It followed a craps game, police said.

The victim last night was in his 20s. His name was not immediately available. He was found lying on the street in front of a rowhouse, and the nearby sidewalk was covered with blood.

Lieutenant Wilson said police have a good description of the suspect and have some leads in the case. The motive was not known, he said.

Over 30 people gathered around the police line and one spectator loudly argued with a police officer, but there were no other confrontations.

The victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition last night. Moments after the ambulance left, police at the scene scrambled to go to another shooting reported about 8:20 p.m. at the corner of North Washington and E. 20th streets, about a dozen blocks away.

Police arrived to find a man on the ground suffering from a bullet wound that went into his side and out his back. He was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he is listed in stable condition.

Police said they found 10 bullet casings on and around the street corner. Investigators had not determined a motive for this shooting, either.

Homicide investigators were at the scene of both crimes.

Saturday night's shooting left 12 injured but none fatally. Police have arrested one man in connection with that shooting but are still looking for three others.

Police said four men walked along the street firing about 40 shots from a semiautomatic assault rifle and other weapons. Most of the victims were hit in the legs and lower body.

After the gunfire, hundreds of people massed in the street, blocking ambulances and police cars. Police said the crowd was disorderly, but several residents faulted police for heavy-handed crowd-control tactics.

Police officials said the police response was prompt and appropriate, considering the size of the crowd and the pandemonium that followed the shooting.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.