Atholton, Mount Hebron advance to tournament final Baseball

April 15, 1993|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Staff Writer

Atholton (3-1) and Mount Hebron (2-1), the two baseball teams that were able to put together big offensive innings, won semifinal games yesterday and will meet today at 2:30 in the final of the Atholton Tournament.

Atholton's 4-3 victory over Howard in the tournament's first semifinal was a pitcher's duel between Howard's Brad Mountcastle and Atholton's Dan Keyser.

In the second semifinal, Mount Hebron overcame five Hammond doubles and outlasted the Bears, 7-6.

Atholton's Keyser, a sophomore left-hander, made his first varsity start one to remember. He pitched a complete game, striking out six, allowing four hits and walking two.

Mountcastle, a senior right-hander, pitched a complete game, allowing seven hits, striking out nine and walking one. He had a no-hitter through three innings.

"Then some guys on our bench said something about a no-hitter and jinxed it," Mountcastle said.

Atholton rapped three straight hits to start the fourth. Peter Yoder's pop fly fell for a double down the left-field line. Kevin Nickey hit an RBI single to center field and Ryan Schneider also singled to center.

Mountcastle retired the next two hitters, but Ryan McQueeny produced a two-run single. He reached second when the left fielder fumbled the ball.

Howard came back for two runs in the bottom of the fourth, on two walks, an error and a two-run double by Mountcastle.

Atholton scored the winning run in the sixth on a double by Ryan Schneider, an error and a fielder's choice.

Howard added its final run in the bottom of the sixth on an error, a single by A. J. Durham and a double by Larry Long. Howard had runners at third and second with no outs, but was unable to score another run that inning.

"It was still a moral victory for us," Howard coach Matt Forsyth said. "We fielded the ball well today and got good pitching."

Howard is an extremely young team. Forsyth started three sophomores and a freshman.

Atholton coach Kevin Kelly was disappointed that his team didn't hit better. "But Howard played well and Mountcastle spotted his pitches well and struck out a lot of our batters," he said.

Hammond's failure to produce a big inning in the sixth proved decisive in its loss to Mount Hebron in the second semifinal.

The Bears, who had rallied to beat South Carroll in eight innings the day before, got a single from David Brewer, a double from Joe Brewer and a walk to Matt Cyran to load the bases with two outs in the sixth.

Chad Weiner's single scored only one run. Then Jeff Busick popped out to end the inning with Hammond trailing 7-6.


Mount Hebron won the game with a four-run fourth inning.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.