Oakland Mills, Glenelg to meet for Atholton Tournament title Boys lacrosse

April 15, 1993|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Staff Writer

Oakland Mills and Glenelg saved their best lacrosse for last in the semifinals of the Atholton Tournament yesterday.

The Scorpions boys kept their unbeaten streak alive by spotting Hammond a 6-0 second-quarter lead, then staging a stunning second-half comeback to win, 14-11.

Glenelg made things even more interesting. The Gladiators, who endured two scoring droughts that added up to 30 minutes, scored all four of their second-half goals in the final four minutes of regulation, then edged Atholton, 9-8, in overtime on a goal by Jason Caulder with 24 seconds left in the extra period.

Oakland Mills (5-0) and Glenelg (2-2) will play at 2 p.m. today for the tournament championship. Hammond (0-3) and Atholton (1-4) meet in the consolation at noon.

Before coming alive with an explosive 10-0 run in the second half yesterday, the Scorpions received quite a wake-up call from Hammond.

The Bears, who looked flat throughout last week's 11-6 defeat at Oakland Mills, caught the Scorpions napping in the first quarter.

While Oakland Mills took five minutes to get off its first shot, Hammond came out emotionally charged, and used an opening goal by Mike Sargent (four goals) to ignite an unanswered six-goal outburst. That ended with Sargent's third goal 40 seconds into the second quarter.

Oakland Mills was able to cut the deficit to 6-3 with three minutes left in the half, but Brian Magday scooped up a loose ball in traffic and gave Hammond a 7-3 halftime lead. The Bears then scored quickly to start the second half and appeared to be in control.

"We were thinking that since we beat them [Hammond] easily last week, we didn't have to play hard, and they were destroying us on ground balls in the first half," said Oakland Mills attackman Shannon Hiteshew, who was held scoreless in the first half but finished with three goals and two assists.

"After the first quarter, we started panicking a little bit. But at halftime we said, 'Hey, let's get back in the game inch by inch and nibble away at the lead.' Once we started doing that, Hammond lost their heads a little bit."

Hiteshew started the game's decisive run with a goal at the 8:18 mark. Iggy Levelev (five goals, two assists), the Scorpions' leading scorer who also was held scoreless in the first half, recorded his first goal 50 seconds later to cut the margin to 8-5. And after Hiteshew added his second goal with 6:38 left in the period, the Bears started to crumble.

First, Jeff Cartwright (two goals) took a nice feed from Shawn Madison (two goals, three assists) and converted to cut the lead to 8-7. Hammond star midfielder Tommy Lea then was called for slashing -- he spent three minutes in the penalty box and scored one goal -- at the 4:58 mark, and the Scorpions pounced on the extra-man opportunity. Levelev tied the score at 8 with 4:11 left. He gave Oakland Mills its first lead of the game three minutes later.

Madison, Hiteshew and Levelev accounted for the next four goals to complete a 10-0 run that gave Oakland Mills a 13-8 lead with 5:39 left.

Hammond cut the lead to 14-11 with 3:23 left, but the Bears committed three costly turnovers in the final three minutes. The Scorpions, on the other hand, took excellent care of the ball. Oakland Mills won 11 of 16 faceoffs in the second half.

"This is the kind of game we expected from Hammond the first time around. They really made us work this time," Oakland Mills coach Phil Stephenson said. "We needed a game like this. We needed to be behind to show ourselves that we can come back."

Glenelg discovered the same quality about itself yesterday. The Gladiators fell behind the Raiders, 4-1, at the end of the first quarter, and went 14 minutes without a goal. Then, in the final three minutes of the first half, Matt DeMontaigne (two goals, one assist), Jamie Arnsmeyer and Jeremy Smith scored to tie the Raiders at four at intermission.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.