St. Paul's puts away host St. Mary's, 10-5

April 14, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

The last time St. Paul's lacrosse team met St. Mary's on Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis was more than two years ago. The Crusaders lost the Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference game, then had to endure a long bus ride home.

Since that contest, St. Paul's has won 27 straight.

Yesterday, No. 1 St. Paul's and No. 4 St. Mary's met on Weems Whalen Field as the conference's only unbeatens. This time, the Crusaders rallied in the opening and closing quarters en route to a 10-5 victory over the Saints.

"It's tough coming down here and winning," said St. Paul's coach Mitch Whiteley. "This is the first time in my five years as a coach that I've won on this field. It's a long bus ride down here and it's tough sometimes to get it going, but we got the guys keyed in during the week and when they got down here, they were ready to get off the bus and play."

The Crusaders (6-0, 5-0), who squeezed past No. 3 Loyola, 9-8, last Wednesday, took a 3-0 lead in the first quarter on goals by Michael Watson, Tucker Radebaugh and Ben Strutt. Watson put the visitors on the board first with 4:06 left in the quarter on a feed from Radebaugh.

Radebaugh, who led all scorers with four goals and one assist, followed with an unassisted man-up goal at 3:11, and Strutt closed out the first-period scoring when he took a pass from Joe Unitas, roll-dodged a defender and fired an underhand shot while falling to the turf.

St. Mary's floundering attack managed one shot on goal in the first quarter, and that was turned away by goalie Sean Keenan. Keenan's job was made easy by the tenacious close defense of senior Pat Doyle, who shadowed St. Mary's most productive attackman, Matt Clune.

"I think Patrick Doyle did a great job on Clune, and that was a big key. He just tore him up," Whiteley said. "I think Pat got himself real ready for this game. This morning, The Baltimore Sun listed [Clune] as the top scorer in the area, and Pat took that as a challenge. Patrick Doyle is a heck of a ballplayer, and we just sort of turned him loose on him.

"We have a very good close defense, and I just told them jump on them and be as aggressive as we could because St. Mary's is a very good team and they handle the ball well. Clune really sees the field well, so the key was jumping on top of him and taking him out of his game."

The Saints scored 19 seconds into the second quarter, when Todd Vizcarrondo scored on an assist from Kevin Reichardt. St. Mary's closed the half with two goals in the final two minutes to cut the lead to 5-4.

The Crusaders returned the lead to two 58 seconds into the second half when Billy Ruhl converted a flick-pass from Strutt, but St. Mary's answered with an unassisted goal by Clune with 2:40 remaining.

"St. Paul's has a good team and, they did the job when they had to," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "But this is only one game.."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.