Westminster council OKs land purchase for turn lane

April 13, 1993|By Staff Report

The Westminster City Council last night approved the purchase of land adjacent to the 7-Eleven store, at Route 140 and North Center Street, for a right-turn lane for the appraised price of $23,000.

Purchase of the property, owned by the Arrow Oil Co., will permit construction of a separate lane for cars traveling north on Center Street to turn east on Route 140.

Councilman Kenneth A. Yowan said, "We have commitments from several parties, including the state, county and Cranberry Mall, and this has been in the planning stage for several years.

"We have to look at this as something for the future. Traffic isn't on the decrease, but rather on the increase."

Thomas B. Beyard, city director of planning and public works, said, "The total cost for this project is $200,000, with 75 percent, or $150,000, being matched by the state. The remaining 25 percent is being co-shared with Cranberry Mall."

In other business at the council's regular meeting, Councilman Kenneth A. Yowan cited the potentially devastating effect that U.S. Senate Bill 575, the Comprehensive Occupational Safety and Health Reform Act, would have on volunteer fire companies in Carroll County and around the country.

"This proposed bill would make liable any volunteer fire chief for loss of life when a fire was being fought by four or less firemen," he said.

Mayor Benjamin Brown said the council would register its disapproval of the bill with Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md.

"It's obvious," he said, "that this would have considerable impact on the whole volunteer fire department effort."

In other action, the council agreed that the fire-damaged home of Frances W. Waltz, 91 Pennsylvania Ave., would be repaired through the volunteer efforts of Christmas in April.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.