Man charged in dispute with woman Police hear threat to cut her head off CENTRAL--Union Mills * Westminster * Sandymount * Finksburg

April 13, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A 28-year-old Westminster man was captured and arrested early Sunday after he returned to a Carroll Street house four times to argue with a woman acquaintance and threatened to cut her head off, city police reported.

Jay T. Benge of Old Washington Road was charged with possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure, and assault and battery. He was released on $2,500 bond Sunday night.

Police said they were called to a house in the first block of Carroll Street about 11:30 p.m. Saturday night for a domestic dispute between a woman occupant and Mr. Benge.

Authorities said the man at first refused to leave, even though he said he did not live at the house, but finally agreed to walk away and not return.

At 12:05 a.m. Sunday, police again were called to the house and were told that Mr. Benge had returned twice and forced his way inside by using a credit card. He was gone by the time officers arrived.

Court records said the man again attempted to gain entry at 1:50 a.m., but his entry was blocked by a slide bolt on the inside of the door.

At 2:30 a.m., officers were called yet again and, as they walked toward the house, heard the screams of a woman and a man's voice.

Officers reported that they also heard the sounds of a struggle inside as the man shouted, "I'll cut your head off."

The suspect came out of the house as police attempted to force the door open.

Officers arrested the man.

The woman told the officers that Mr. Benge had grabbed her by the hair and placed a knife at her back and threatened to stab her several times.

Officers reported that they recovered a knife in a trash can in the woman's kitchen.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.