Hallmark tourney a close call

April 11, 1993|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Staff Writer

This tournament couldn't have been any closer.

First, a close call with the weather shortened yesterday's second annual Betty Hallmark Girls Lacrosse Tournament from four games to two. But that didn't daunt the competition at Severn School.

No. 5 Annapolis and No. 7 Broadneck came out on top -- but just barely -- in an Anne Arundel County showdown of public and private school teams.

Annapolis (6-0) edged No. 6 St. Mary's, 6-5, and Broadneck (4-0) topped unranked Severn, 5-4.

St. Mary's was supposed to have gotten a crack at Broadneck and Severn at Annapolis, too, but the tournament was shortened because of poor field conditions. Severn's stadium field, with large patches of dirt, was too muddy to play on, so the games were played back-to-back on the grassier field instead of simultaneously.

But that didn't diminish the intensity of either game.

In a 2-2 first half, Annapolis and St. Mary's (4-1) proved they were as closely matched as their rankings indicated. However, strong defense, especially from Cory Samaras and wings Inga Fredlend and Amy Brew, held the Saints scoreless through the first 10 minutes of the second half.

During that time, the Panthers' offense broke through a strong St. Mary's defense to score three unanswered goals.

The Saints couldn't stop Cristi Samaras, who scored two goals in the first seven minutes. Both times, Samaras settled the ball behind the crease and then beat her defender with an explosive first step to roll around and score.

"She lets you slow down with her, and I think that's part of the plot. She fakes you out and then she rolls right by you," said St. Mary's coach Tina Lewnes.

Two minutes later, Lauren Feinstein added the eventual game-winner to give Annapolis a 6-2 lead.

Then St. Mary's took over. Merri Kennedy cut the lead to two with just over 15 minutes left. Missy Holmes followed with an interception on the defensive end and ran in to score, pulling the Saints within a goal with six minutes to go.

But the Saints could not get the tie. "We dropped too many balls," said Lewnes. "In the second half, Annapolis had good defensive pressure, and I think we got scared."

In the tournament opener, Severn fell behind 4-0 in the first nine minutes but still nearly tied Broadneck.

The Admirals (1-5-1) couldn't take advantage of two free positions -- including one against an open net -- in the final two minutes.

A defensive infraction in the crease set up the Admirals' first free shot and forced Bruins keeper Terra Jensen a couple yards out of the crease on the side. The ball went to Severn's Robin Quinton, who had scored the Admirals' last two goals.

Quinton had a defender close by, so she opted to pass to the more openJoyce Wu on the other side of the crease but couldn't make the connection.

The Admirals had one more chance on a free position with 11 seconds left. Christy Cole took the shot but Jensen made the last of her 13 saves to help the Bruins escape with the victory.

"At the end, I think we all got nervous," said Wu, a sophomore attacker. "When you're working under pressure it's kind of hard to concentrate."

The Bruins built their early lead by scoring on their first four shots. Melissa Montalto, Megan McEwen, Suzie Goodrich and Susannah Johnson scored the goals, and Montalto, Hull and Karen Chesley had the assists.

Severn missed its first 10 shots before Brenna Ryan scored on a free position two minutes before halftime.

Heidi Hammes and Emily Franey cut the lead to 4-3 in the first three minutes of the second half, but the Admirals couldn't get closer.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.