Terps' attack finally offensive Parks' 3 goals lead 11-10 win over Navy

April 11, 1993|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,Staff Writer

The Maryland attack was getting it from all directions. From fans to coach Dick Edell, people wondered when the Terps were going to start scoring.

"We've been teasing them all week," Edell said. "Our third-leading scorer is a defensive midfielder. The ability's there on attack, but when you're struggling, you keep getting tighter and tighter."

The Terps loosened up yesterday and got an 11-10 victory over Navy before 2,599 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Maryland had a three-goal lead midway through the fourth period, but needed Rob Chomo's goal with 1:53 left. Chomo also had two assists, and three straight goals by fellow attackman Matt Parks staked Maryland to a 9-6 lead it couldn't protect.

A goal drought had led to Atlantic Coast Conference losses to Duke, No. 1 North Carolina and Virginia, but the offense began to come around in the overtime loss to the Cavaliers eight days ago. The five goals the Terps scored in the fourth quarter yesterday matched the total of their first four games, and resurrected Maryland's hopes of returning to the NCAA tournament. Maryland (2-3) came in ranked No. 13 in the USILA rankings, and Navy (5-2) was No. 8.

"Our offense was out of sync," Parks said. "We weren't moving the ball or playing as a unit. Today, it finally looked like six people working together. Plus, the transition game kicked in."

The Terps actually slowed the pace through three quarters, and they took a 6-5 lead into the fourth. It was then that Parks, a junior who went to Gilman School, delivered his biggest quarter against a Division I opponent. He took feeds from Greg Nelin for an 8-5 advantage -- the first coming on a delayed call by the officials -- and then made it 9-6 with 8:28 left.

Parks' only other hat trick with the Terps came in last year's NCAA quarterfinal loss to Priceton. He has nine goals this season.

Maryland still had a 10-8 lead with 4:39 left after freshman Mike Crawford (Severna Park) scored, but the Mids got goals from Matt Pawlikowski and Charles Bertrand to draw even with 2:01 left.

Nelin won the faceoff, and the ball was whipped from Parks to Scott McMahon to Chomo. The junior from nearby St. Mary's beat Kevin Farrington for the winner with 1:53 left. Navy had a final chance, but John Tierney missed from the right side.

"This is huge," Parks said. "We came in with a 1-3 record, and we're playing one of the best teams Navy's had in a while. Plus, they put it to us pretty badly last year [11-3]. If we don't win, it doesn't look like we have any chance at all of getting into the NCAAs."

The schedule will help the Terps' postseason chances. They've still got regular-season games against Johns Hopkins and Towson State, and they'll face more ranked teams as long as they're alive in the ACC tournament at Byrd Stadium on April 23 and 25.

"It's obvious that our backs are to the wall," Edell said. "We're using every bit of personnel we've got, and a lot of people came through today."

The attack got the late boost from Parks and Chomo, and the Terps' defense is also oriented to players from the Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference. Matt Back had 17 saves, and the close defense included Steve Hayes, a teammate of his from St. Mary's; Matt Ritter, a senior from Calvert Hall; and Dan Radebaugh, a sophomore from Loyola.

Navy, which got three goals from midfielder Jamie Slough, was playing its first game at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, and the soggy turf helped slow the pace. The Mids did not lead after Neil Dupcak's (St. Mary's) first collegiate goal brought the Terps to 2-2 with 44 seconds left in the first quarter.

"Their goalie [Back] played well, but it wasn't a good shooting day for us," Navy coach Bryan Matthews said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.