Hopkins rolls over Army, 17-9 9 straight goals blow out Cadets

April 11, 1993|By Bill Tanton | Bill Tanton,Staff Writer

A matchup of ranked teams turned into a mismatch yesterday as the Johns Hopkins lacrosse team routed Army, 17-9, at Homewood Field.

Hopkins (5-2 and sixth-ranked in The Baltimore Sun poll) scored 10 goals in the second period and took a 13-2 halftime lead. Late in the third period, the Jays led 16-3.

From then on Hopkins substituted freely and Army (5-2, ranked ninth) outscored the Blue Jays, 5-1, in the final period.

"I thought Army would come out strong," said Hopkins coach Tony Seaman. "This game was their ticket to the playoffs.

"We played well, though. We put a lot of pressure on them with our ride [stopping the defense from getting the ball up to the offensive end]. Our goalie, John Marcus, was focused and we got a lift from getting Brian Piccola back."

Piccola, who had missed four games with a rib injury, came off the bench in the first quarter to play extra man offense. Piccola wound up with three goals and two assists.

The high scorer for the game was Hopkins sophomore attackman Terry Riordan with five goals and four assists. Riordan is Hopkins' leading scorer with 24 goals and 10 assists.

Army coach Jack Emmer was disappointed with his team's play and thought he knew why his Cadets were off their game.

"We played a very emotional game last week at Navy and lost it [10-8]," Emmer said, "and we didn't deal with it very well.

"Our biggest problem in this game was our stick skills. They were poor. That comes from a lack of confidence. We're a better team than this and we're going to regroup to play Yale next week."

The game was scoreless for 6:04 until Hopkins freshman Milford Marchant (Severn) scored unassisted, beating goalie Rick Aguilar.

Piccola and Marchant again made it 3-0 with two minutes left in the first period. Army's John Orlando, on a feed from Chad Allen, cut the deficit to 3-1. Then the rout was on.

Scoring nearly a goal a minute, Hopkins got four goals from Riordan and one each from Alex Wadkovsky, Piccola, Dave Marr, Casey Gordon and Charley Speno to make it 12-1.

Soundly beaten on the scoreboard, Army also lost the battle for ground balls (63-42) and for faceoffs. Steve Vecchione dominated the faceoffs, grabbing 22 to Army's eight.

The Cadets have now lost 11 in a row to Hopkins.

"Going into the game, I thought we had a good chance to win," said Army junior midfielder Mike Mangino, who had one goal. "It ** looks like we didn't come back very well after the loss at Navy. We just couldn't get any ground balls or faceoffs."

?3 Hopkins next plays at Maryland on Friday night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.