Gunman lay in wait to kill Baltimore man Police don't know whether 3-year-old was slain intentionally

April 10, 1993|By Michael James and Joan Jacobson | Michael James and Joan Jacobson,Staff Writers

The gunman who fatally shot Angelo Garrison Sr. and his 3-year-old son was lying in wait for Mr. Garrison and may have intentionally killed the boy, police investigators said.

While investigators said they haven't ruled out that the boy, Angelo Garrison Jr., may have been shot accidentally, some witnesses told police the gunman took aim at the boy and shot him as he sat in the back seat of the family car. The boy was eating an ice cream cone at the time.

Police said the motive is unknown and there are still many unanswered questions about the ambush attack outside Mr. Garrison's downtown Baltimore bail bond business. A minimum of five or six shots were fired, said Agent Doug Price, a police spokesman.

"We can't exclude the possibility that the child was shot purposely," Agent Price said. "We don't know if the child was an intended target. Most certainly, Angelo Sr. was."

Mr. Garrison, 23, was shot twice in the head about 8:30 p.m. Thursday in the 300 block of Park Ave. As Mr. Garrison lay mortally wounded on the ground, another bullet went through the rear passenger window of his car and struck Angelo Jr. in the head.

Mr. Garrison's youngest child, an infant, was in a baby seat in the front of the vehicle but was not injured. The children's mother, who was standing outside the car, was also not hurt, police said.

According to police accounts of the shooting, Mr. Garrison had just parked his late-model Volvo in front of his bail bond business, located in the same building as a hair salon and a property management business he owns.

Police said he had stopped there to drop the two children off with their mother, who was waiting for them at the hair salon.

The children's mother had walked outside and was watching as Mr. Garrison got out of the car and walked to the rear of the vehicle to get Angelo Jr., police said. It was at that point that the gunman, who had been standing near a pay phone, "confronted" Mr. Garrison, Agent Price said.

Friends of Mr. Garrison said he had started the first of his downtown businesses when he was 17.

He recently ran a fund-raising event for Baltimore homeless advocate Bea Gaddy.

Yesterday, Ms. Gaddy said Mr. Garrison told her the event at the Forum in West Baltimore on March 28 made $5,000, although he had turned over only $2,500 to her before his death.

"It's one of the saddest things. To have snuffed out his life and his child's life," she said. Ms. Gaddy said she had not known Mr. Garrison when he came forward and offered to help her serve the homeless.

Mr. Garrison had also promised to give her a vacant house at 2106 Barclay St., which Ms. Gaddy planned to convert into a homeless shelter for men.

But Ms. Gaddy said she received an anonymous phone call shortly after Mr. Garrison was seen on local television donating the building to her.

The angry caller, a woman, told Ms. Gaddy the house Mr. Garrison donated actually belonged to the caller.

But Mr. Garrison later assured Ms. Gaddy that he in fact owned the building.

City land records show that Mr. Garrison signed an "Installment Purchase Agreement" in January to purchase the Barclay Street house for $2,500. Although he agreed to make payments on the house for 120 months, he does not hold title to the property. Instead, it is owned by Frankfort Realty Limited Partnership.

Land records show the house is one of nine investment properties Mr. Garrison purchased under similar Installment Purchase Agreements for $55,000 in January.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.