Father and son are shot to death

April 09, 1993|By Roger Twigg and Michael James | Roger Twigg and Michael James,Staff Writers Staff writer David Michael Ettlin contributed to this article.

A 3-year-old boy and his father were shot to death last night in an ambush attack outside the man's downtown Baltimore bail bond business, police said.

The attack by a gunman standing at a nearby telephone was the climax of a day of violence in Baltimore that claimed five lives in several incidents.

Angelo Garrison Sr. and his son, Angelo Jr., were shot about 8:30 p.m. in the 300 block of Park Ave. Police said they were gunned down as they sat in Mr. Garrison's white late-model Volvo.

Mr. Garrison owned Angelo's Bail Bond Corp., a property management company and a hair salon, which are in a three-story building on Park Avenue. The Volvo was parked outside the building when the gunman opened fire.

The father and son were taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where the boy died shortly before 11 p.m. Mr. Garrison died a short time later. His age and address were not available.

An infant and the children's mother, also in the car, were unharmed, said police and bystanders.

Mr. Garrison last month was seen on TV news programs as he offered to renovate and donate a vacant rowhouse to Bea Gaddy's programs for needy and homeless people.

Ms. Gaddy, who was stunned by news of the shooting, said she knew little about Mr. Garrison.

Police said he apparently was leaving work with his family when the attack occurred. Workers in a sub shop around the corner on Saratoga Street said they heard at least four shots and, when they looked outside, saw a man running west on Saratoga with a gun in his hand.

A man who said he was a friend of Mr. Garrison, and identified himself as Aron Browne, said the shooting victim had bought the hair salon business when he was 17 and prided himself on developing good businesses. Mr. Garrison often paid homeless people to do clean-up jobs at his business, according to Mr. Browne, who said he also owns a downtown business.

"He was a very good guy, and he worked hard for his family. I can't believe someone would have done this to him and his child," Mr. Browne said.

With the Park Avenue shooting, Baltimore's homicide death toll for the year rose to 95 -- 13 more than at the same time last year, when a record 335 people were killed.

The day's first slaying occurred just after midnight when a nTC 15-year-old youth was stabbed in the chest during an argument with a young woman in the 4600 block of Kenilworth Ave. in North Baltimore, said Sam Ringgold, a police spokesman.

Mr. Ringgold said the victim, Purnell Price, of the 4600 block of Kenilworth Ave., died at 1:01 a.m. at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Gail Smoot, 19, of the 4500 block of Kenilworth Ave., was taken into custody at the scene and charged with first-degree murder and a weapons violation, Baltimore police reported.

About 1:35 a.m., Southern District police were called to the 1400 block of Key Highway, where they discovered the body of a man in his 20s.

The victim apparently had died from a stab wound to the chest.

Police said they know of no motive and have no suspect in connection with the slaying.

About 3:20 a.m. yesterday, a woman identified as Andrea Price, 27, telephoned police to report finding a dead man in her first-floor apartment in the 1400 block of Argyle Ave. in West Baltimore, Mr. Ringgold said.

When police arrived, they found the body of a man who had been shot in the back and head, officials said.

Police said they were unable to immediately establish the man's identity.

Ms. Price told police she was in the apartment about 8 p.m. Wednesday when the victim and another man known to her only as "Ricardo" got into a heated argument.

She said she left the building with her 6-year-old son because she feared for their safety, officials reported.

Ms. Price said she returned to the apartment shortly after 3 a.m. and discovered the man's body on the floor.

Police said they believe the slaying was drug-related. They had no suspect.

About 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, city police were summoned to the same West Baltimore block for a report of an apparently unrelated shooting.

The victim, Edward Tyson, 32, of the 1300 block of Ettings St., suffered a gunshot wound in his right leg and a graze wound in the head during an altercation there, officials said.

He was taken to Shock Trauma, where he was reported in fair but stable condition last night.

Police yesterday released the identity of a 32-year-old man whose body was discovered outside a Southwest Baltimore drug treatment center Wednesday morning.

He was identified as Bernie Maurice Slater, of the 100 block of Irving St., police said.

They said the man had been shot in the back and legs. Police found Mr. Slater's body about 7 a.m. in the 3700 block of Frederick Ave.

They said they know of no motive and have no suspect in connection with the slaying.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.