St. Mary's rallies to top Boys' Latin in overtime, 10-9

April 07, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

If Jim Moorhead didn't know how his young St. Mary's boys lacrosse team would respond to a three-goal deficit in the fourth quarter, he does now.

The sixth-ranked Saints scored six goals in the final quarter to send the game into overtime and junior attackman Matt Clune added the game-winner 2:49 into the sudden-death period to record a 10-9 victory over No. 5 Boys' Latin in an intense Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference battle yesterday on Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis.

"I told my guys at the end of the third quarter that lacrosse is a long game and that you can score a lot of goals in bunches and they obviously proved that statement to be correct," Moorhead said after watching his team improve to 5-0 overall, 4-0 in the conference. "I'm certainly pleased to come back against a great ballclub like that. "

After being held to only three goals in as many quarters, St. Mary's attack went to work on the Lakers and scored three unanswered goals within a 90-second span in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 6-6 with 5:55 left in regulation.

Sophomore attackman Dan Collins (three goals, two assists) converted a pair of passes from Clune (two, four) to bring the Saints to within one. Six seconds later, Todd Vizcarrondo netted his second goal of the game on a feed from Clune to even the score.

Boys' Latin (3-1, 1-1) momentarily regained the lead on an unassisted goal by sophomore attackman Scott Hochstadt (three, one) before Collins and Clune teamed up for a third time.

A follow-up shot by Tim Roberts gave the Lakers an 8-7 lead with 4:14 remaining and put the pressure back on the Saints.

Again the Saints answered. An unassisted goal by senior midfielder Kevin Reichardt and an extra-man goal by Vizcarrondo put St. Mary's up with 1:27 left.

Boys' Latin's senior midfielder Andy Sharretts (two, two) knotted the score for the fifth and final time on an unassisted goal with 30 seconds remaining.

The Lakers had an extra-man opportunity for the final 15 seconds of regulation but Sharretts' final shot was turned away by Saints goalkeeper Jim Brown.

Lakers coach Bob Shriver said: "Give St. Mary's a lot of credit because they showed a lot of resolve and came back two or three times from being a couple of goals down. My guys played hard and St. Mary's played hard. It was a good game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.