Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale


April 07, 1993

Annapolis man charged in slaying was on parole

An Annapolis man charged in the city's first homicide this year was on parole at the time of the shooting.

Gilbert M. Hawkins, 45, of Bens Drive, was convicted of an assault in 1991. His parole was revoked by District Judge Martha F. Rasin, who ordered him held on $75,000 bail.

Mr. Hawkins was in the county detention center yesterday in lieu of bail. His brother, Douglas L. Hawkins, 51, of Walnut Drive in Cape St. Claire, was being held on $30,000 bail, while his brother's son, James T. Hawkins, 23, of College Creek Terrace, was being held on $75,000 bail. James Hawkins was convicted of drug distribution in 1991.

All three were sitting in a car on Poplar Avenue, a quiet residential street, when they got in an argument with Robert A. Morgan, 31, of the 400 block of Hammond Place Saturday night. Mr. Morgan was shot as he ran away, police said.

Mr. Morgan was pronounced dead at Anne Arundel Medical Center about an hour after the 6:15 p.m. shooting.

The homicide was the first in Maryland's capital since a man was shoved through a glass china cabinet in December.

Stop-work order on demolition lifted

The Maryland Department of the Environment ordered Capital-Gazette Newspapers last week to stop demolition of its old West Street offices, citing violations of state erosion control laws.

The publishing company corrected the violations over the weekend, and the April 2 stop-work order has been lifted, said Michael Sullivan, a spokesman for the department.

Mr. Sullivan said the company did not have a sediment-control plan by the Anne Arundel County Soil Conservation District. Any project which disturbs more than 5,000 square feet must have an approved plan.

The state required the company to install controls at the entrance to the construction site and silt fences along the boundaries. It also spread grass seed and straw across the exposed soil to control erosion, Mr. Sullivan said.

Short staffing forces officer from Clay St. beat

A month after an Annapolis police officer was assigned to regular patrols on Clay Street, he is being shifted to new duty because the department has been stretched thin by a string of resignations.

Officer William "Ralph" Pumphrey, who began walking a beat on Clay Street a week after a decorated city police corporal was shot and wounded during a drug raid there, has been shifted to a regular foot patrol, Sgt. William Powell said yesterday.

The department of 121 sworn officers has shrunk to 100 in the last few months. Sixteen new officers have been hired, but they still are in training.

As a result of the shortage, the department is staffing its new satellite office on Clay Street only with regular foot patrols, instead of assigning one or two officers to walk a permanent beat there.

Sergeant Powell said stepped-up police efforts will continue on Clay Street, however.

"There will be coverage down here," he promised.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.