Pasadena

April 06, 1993

Man critically injured in fire started by cigarette

A Pasadena man was critically injured yesterday in an early morning fire that caused an estimated $80,000 damage to his house.

Capt. Gary Sheckells, a county Fire Department spokesman, said Charles Allen Russell, 54, was smoking in or near a bed when his cigarette ignited the blaze at the two-story home in the 8400 block of Bussenius Road.

When the fire started, Mr. Russell ran from his upstairs bedroom yelling for his 27-year-old niece.

Mr. Russell and his unidentified niece, who was not injured, escaped from the house. Firefighters arrived a few minutes after 6 a.m. and had extinguished the fire by 8:30 a.m.

Mr. Russell was flown by state police MedEvac helicopter to the Francis Scott Key Medical Center in Baltimore with severe burns on both hands, Captain Sheckells said.

He was listed in critical condition yesterday.

Guns, jewelry stolen in house break-in

Someone broke into a Pasadena home last week and stole guns, jewelry and video equipment valued at nearly $6,000.

Police said the break-in occurred Thursday between 7 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. at a home in the 7800 block of Whites Cove Road.

The owner returned home to find a rear sliding glass door pried open.

Items stolen include a Panasonic camcorder valued at $1,200, an outboard boat engine valued at $1,000, a Remington shotgun valued at $550 and a gold Seiko watch with diamond chips valued at $700.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.