No. 3 Loyola shoots down Severn, 12-6 Boys lacrosse

April 04, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Severn's 14th-ranked boys lacrosse team proved it has the ability to shoot on the road yesterday at No. 3 Loyola.

Despite their patient half-field offense, the Admirals managed to fire 25 shots at Loyola goalies Greg Zorella and Sam Hudson.

The Dons (4-1, 2-1) took only two more shots than Severn, but a dozen of them came with a fine finish as Loyola defeated the Admirals, 12-6, in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference game on the Blakefield campus.

"We got things together today and we were moving the ball pretty well,"said Loyola senior attackman Jon Cusson, who led all scorers with four goals and two assists. "Our defense played great and they were moving the ball up to us and we were finishing shots a lot better than we were in the first few games."

Loyola's offensive cohesiveness couldn't have come at a better time, with the Dons scheduled to visit No. 1 St. Paul's on Wednesday.

As for Severn (2-2, 1-2), Admirals first-year coach Mike Burnett wasn't pleased with his team's second conference defeat.

"I thought we were fairly evenly matched, it's just that they made the big plays and we didn't," said Burnett. "We didn't catch and throw. We had guys dropping the ball in the open field and they played harder than we did.

"It was disheartening for us because we were trying to come back and rebound after getting beat so bad [21-3] by St. Paul's. The kids were fired up, but some of our seniors were the worst ones out there today, and you can't win unless your seniors step up."

Loyola's seniors stepped up and stood out in the scoring column, with Keeney matching Cusson's four goals, Greg Hobelmann tallying one goal and two assists and Bill Evans adding three assists.

Sophomore Scott Diggs put Loyola on the score board 54 seconds into the game on a feed from Keeney. Keeney added an unassisted goal inside a minute later, only to see it answered 59 seconds later by Severn senior Scott Singleton.

After a 10-second delay in the scoring, junior Charlie Brown scored the first of his two goals on a feed from Cusson to give the Dons a 3-1 lead just 2:39 in the game.

Severn pulled back within one for the last time on a goal from senior attackman Dudley Dixon.

Loyola closed out the first period with an extra-man goal from Cusson and an unassisted goal by Keeney.

The Admirals appeared ready to make a run at the Dons in the second quarter as Singleton found the net first to cut the lead to two.

Loyola scored the next three goals to take an 8-3 lead at the half.

Loyola's offense generated three goals in the third quarter and its defense held Severn scoreless. With an 11-3 advantage heading into the fourth quarter, Dons coach Joe McFadden had a chance to give his reserves a chance to play.

"Severn ran a real ball-controlled, sit-on-the-ball offense, and they used up about four minutes in the second quarter, so I was real happy with eight goals in the first half," said McFadden.

"It's a step forward from our last time out [a 7-5 loss to Gilman]

and that's all we're looking for this season."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.