Virginia needs overtime to foil Maryland rally, 11-10

April 04, 1993|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,Contributing Writer

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Maryland rallied from a 10-4 deficit and held Virginia to one goal for the last 32 minutes, but that one goal gave the Cavaliers an 11-10 overtime win in the first lacrosse game played at Klockner Stadium.

Catching a pass from senior midfielder Ray Kamrath (St. Mary's), sophomore attack Sean Miller took a point-blank shot that caught the right corner of the goal with 14 seconds left in overtime to give Virginia, ranked No. 7 by The Baltimore Sun, the victory. Miller, who had two goals in six previous games, scored three.

"I thought it was the slowest shot in the world," Miller said. "I never thought it would make it in the goal. It was sheer luck."

Said Virginia first-year coach Dom Starsia: "We were poised throughout the game, and it continued into overtime. I wasn't sure we were definitely going to win, but knew we had a good chance."

The game was the fourth straight between the schools that was decided by one goal. The Terps, ranked No. 13 in the USILA poll, had won the previous two games.

After two goals by Miller and a goal and an assist from Tony Nugent (Calvert Hall) two minutes after halftime, the Cavaliers had a 10-4 lead. Virginia (5-2, 2-0 in the ACC) would miss on its next 25 shots, and Maryland responded with six straight goals.

Four of those goals came in the third period when the Terps were outshot 21-8. Maryland tied the score at 10 on an unassisted goal by junior midfielder Sean Crawford (Severna Park) with 1:27 left in regulation.

"On the defensive end, it was just experience and plain heart," Maryland coach Dick Edell said. "Hopefully we can respond positively from our performance."

Terps goalie Matt Back (St. Mary's) made 11 of his 19 saves in that Virginia drought.

"Once they got things going, I thought it was going to be a long day," said Back, a junior who is 6 feet 2, 232 pounds. "They knew I was a big guy, so they tried to get me tired with all those shots."

The Terps (1-3, 0-3) recorded their first winless ACC regular season since league play began in 1954 and have never in been two games below .500.

Virginia took a 5-1 lead in the first period as it outshot the Terps, 15-3. The Cavaliers' domination continued as they attempted 55 shots to Maryland's 32 in the game.

Terps freshman midfielder Cris Rinorin's second career goal brought Maryland to 6-4 in the second period, but Virginia countered with four goals.

"Our guys had three or four chances to just belly-up, and we didn't," Edell said. "Our guys worked so hard all week. We'll definitely be back."

Senior attack Scott McMahon led the Terps with a goal and three assists. Junior teammate Matt Parks (Gilman) had two goals and an assist.

The Maryland defensive duo of juniors Steve Hayes (St. Mary's) and Danny Robbins held Virginia senior attack Kevin Pehlke (Calvert Hall) without a goal in 11 shots. Pehlke's three assists, however, placed him one point shy of Virginia's all-time scoring title.

The game at Klockner, a 2-year-old soccer facility, marked the first time Virginia was host to a game on grass since 1978.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.