Murder victim feared a lurker, jury is told Man says girl asked that he check out Halethorpe rec area

April 02, 1993|By Sheridan Lyons | Sheridan Lyons,Staff Writer

A 15-year-old runaway was so afraid that someone might be lurking near her makeshift bed outside a restroom at a Halethorpe recreation center last June that she asked a virtual stranger to inspect the place.

"She was scared that somebody was up there, waiting for her up there," Brian Giles told a jury yesterday as testimony opened in the trial of Jerome Page, one of two identical twins charged with raping and strangling the girl.

Mr. Giles, 28, said he looked the place over, gave Amanda Lee Hall a blanket and a pillow, then left to buy cocaine with the twins.

One of the twins -- he couldn't tell them apart -- had asked about his "girlfriend," he said.

Jerome Page, 35, of the 2100 block of Monumental Ave., Halethorpe, is being tried alone. His brother, Tyrone Page, will be tried later. The state is seeking the death penalty against Tyrone Page, charging that he killed Amanda, who lived in the 2000 block of Putnam Ave. in Halethorpe.

She had been reported missing June 1 and her body was discovered June 4.

More than a dozen of Amanda's friends and relatives were in court yesterday. Some wept upon hearing the grisly details surrounding the girl's death.

She wasn't on speaking terms with her family the night she was killed. In fact, Amanda' s boyfriend testified she wasn't even speaking to him that night.

Laeon Adamson, 20, told the jury that on June 3 he saw Amanda with Mr. Giles and yelled, "I guess that's your new boyfriend." Later that night, he found her asleep on the concrete entryway of the women's restroom -- right across from his house in the 1800 block of Northeast Ave.

"Hundreds of times I tried to tell her to go home, go home, but she just wouldn't listen," Mr. Adamson said.

Although he was surprised to find her sleeping outside that June 3, Mr. Adamson said, he didn't awaken her.

He said he couldn't ask her to stay at his house because he was afraid his stepfather would get angry.

Michael Seeney, the stepfather, testified yesterday that Amanda had asked to talk with him earlier that evening.

Mr. Seeney, an airline flight attendant, said they had a heart-to-heart talk in which he urged the girl to go back to her parents' home.

She was found dead about noon the next day.

Rafael Marin, 21, of Arbutus told the jury that he was walking to work along an overgrown wooded path where Halethorpe Avenue ends, when he saw a body wrapped in a sky-blue blanket.

The body of the missing Lansdowne High School student was unwrapped by homicide detectives, who reported that it was bloodied and bruised and nude from the waist down, Detective Philip Marll told the jury.

The medical examiner said that the girl had been strangled, perhaps with a cord or belt.

Detective Marll said police found a pillow, some of Amanda's clothing, stuffed animals and other evidence in the entrance to the women's restroom.

Assistant State's Attorney Thomas A. Kane told the jury that hairs and samples of blood and semen stains taken from Amanda's clothing and the blanket were sent to the FBI lab.

Mr. Adamson and Mr. Giles said they supplied hair and blood samples to police.

Under cross-examination by Assistant Public Defender Gerald W. Vahle, Mr. Adamson said he didn't tell police all he knew at first because "I wasn't focusing on it and I was very upset."

He testified that he'd never had sexual relations with Amanda, because "I got the vibe that she was hurting inside: She'd been hurt before, and I didn't want to create any confusion."

In his opening statement to the jury yesterday, Mr. Vahle called the murder "a terrible, terrible thing for these families, for the community, for our county . . . but you must pick the right one -- and they haven't."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.