Late flurry by Loyola falls short No. 10 Brown prevails, 13-12

March 28, 1993|By Bill Tanton | Bill Tanton,Staff Writer

One week after scoring an impressive overtime victor against Syracuse, Loyola was back on Curley Field yesterday, but this time with a different result, a 13-12 upset loss to Brown.

Brown (3-0), ranked 10th in The Baltimore Sun poll, shocked the crowd of 1,621 by jumping to a 7-1 first-quarter lead in the game that was played in a steady drizzle.

No. 3 Loyola (2-2) appeared uninspired early, but came on in the fourth quarter to make it close.

Loyola scored the last five goals, closing the margin to one on scores by Kevin Beach, Paul Cantabene (twice), Andy Martin and Pat Ervin, the last coming with 55 seconds left.

With 15 seconds to go, Ervin took a shot from in close that bounced off Brown goalie Jay Stalfort.

"Thank God that shot hit my foot," said Stalfort, who had 21 saves. "I have to admit, I was plenty nervous with Loyola having all that momentum and the ball in the last minute."

After a crease interference call that gave Brown the ball, Bears midfielder Andy Towers, one of the best players in the country, ran the ball downfield to kill the final 10 seconds.

The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Towers, who played on "a 60 percent ankle," said his coach, Peter Lasagna, scored three goals for the winners. He faced off, played on the crease, played behind the goal and made several clears by himself.

The high scorer for Brown was freshman attackman David Evans of Towson, who had four goals and two assists. Evans played last year at Loyola High.

Brown saves some of its best lacrosse for Curley Field. Since 1988, Loyola had lost only five games at home. Brown has handed the Greyhounds three of those losses, including a 19-12 victory for the Rhode Island school in the NCAA quarterfinals last May.

Loyola's Beach, who had six goals in the win over Syracuse, was the high scorer for the Greyhounds yesterday with three goals.

"Our game plan was to double-team Beach," said first-year Brown coach Lasagna. "If we were going to lose, we wanted somebody besides Beach to beat us.

"It may sound silly, but when you get off to a 7-1 lead it's hard to convince your players that they have to continue playing hard. Loyola ran some great plays to score those final goals."

"We wanted them to double-team Beach," said Loyola coach Dave Cottle. "We expected it and we had plays designed to go to other people, but we kept throwing the ball away."

Tim McGeeney, Loyola's sophomore goalie, injured an ankle against Syracuse and did not practice until Friday. Still, McGeeney played well and had 15 saves.

Towers, who was out of school last year and worked as an assistant coach at Dennison, credited Stalfort for the victory.

"Stalfort sat for two years behind Pat Flynn [from Calvert Hall]," said Towers, "but Jay proved he's one of the elite goalies in the country."

Brown 7 3 2 1 -- 13

Loyola 2 2 3 5 -- 12 Goals: B -- Evans 4, Towers 3, Nelson 2, Iserson 2, Peters 2, Firman; L -- Beach 4, Anderson 2, Cantabene 2, Burnam, Radebaugh, Martin, Ervin. Assists: B -- Marti 4, Evans 2, Guthell, Towers, Iserson; L -- Cantabene 3, Martin, Udo, Ervin, Radebaugh. Saves: B -- Stalfort 21; L -- McGeeney 15.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.