No. 12 St. Mary's rolls over No. 5 Mount St. Joseph, 12-2 Gaels held scoreless for three quarters

March 27, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Even veteran St. Mary's boys lacrosse coach Jim Moorhead had to admit that his 12th-ranked Saints couldn't have played much better in yesterday's Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference opener at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis.

And anyone who witnessed the game would agree that things couldn't have gone much worse for visiting and No. 5 Mount St. Joseph -- at least not in the first three quarters.

The Saints (2-0, 1-0) opened a 9-0 halftime lead, led 11-0 after three quarters and cruised to a 12-2 victory over their Division II rivals.

"I thought for the first game we certainly handled the ball well and we played good defense when they had the ball," said Moorhead, whose team defeated West Babylon of Long Island, N.Y., 17-4, in its season opener last week. "We didn't have too many unforced errors and we moved the ball well against their zone."

It didn't take long for St. Mary's to prove its superiority. The Saints took a 1-0 lead 2:04 into the game on a goal from junior attackman Kevin Gattie.

The Saints made it a 2-0 ballgame at the 5:25 mark of the first quarter when junior Todd Vizcarrondo found the net on a feed from fellow midfielder Matt McDonald.

Mount St. Joe (0-1) had an opportunity to close to within one on a fast break, but Bo Schrott's shot from point-blank range caught the rightpipe and caromed out of bounds.

Junior attackman Matt Clune, who finished with two goals and five assists, picked up his first goal by dodging a defender and flicking the ball underhand for the unassisted score to complete the first quarter scoring.

Not that they needed one, but the Saints got a break nevertheless when officials assessed Mount St. Joe midfielder Maury LaPointe a three-minute, non-releaseable penalty for playing with an illegal-length stick. St. Mary's managed to tack on one goal with LaPointe in the penalty box as freshman Dan Marohl scored the first of his two goals on the first of three assists from sophomore Dan Collins.

The Saints finished the first half just like they started, by swiftly working the ball around the perimeter and catching the Gaels' long sticks out of position. Greg Carobrese, the game's leading scorer with three goals, twice teamed up with Clune in the waning minutes of the period to give the Saints a nine-goal lead at the half.

The Gaels' offense, which was humbled by Saints defenders Steve Schummer, Peter Rowan and Joe Keenan throughout the game, finally got on the scoreboard with 6:47 remaining when junior attackman Matt Hipzer found the net on a feed from LaPointe.

LaPointe added an goal less than a minute later, only to see it answered by St. Mary's senior attackman Brooks Liswell.

"They beat us in every phase of the game," said Gaels coach Drew Bowden. "They outplayed us, out-hustled us, outshot us, swarmed the ground balls, played better defense and played smarter. They're a damn good team."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.