Motorist shoots, stuns armored deputy in Arundel

March 25, 1993|By Richard Irwin and Kris Antonelli | Richard Irwin and Kris Antonelli,Staff Writers Staff writer Joe Nawrozki contributed to this article.

An off-duty Anne Arundel County deputy sheriff was shot tw times late last night, but his body armor absorbed both rounds, leaving him shaken but otherwise unhurt.

A third bullet penetrated the deputy's shirt at the waist line and continued through the material. Two other bullets fired by the assailant, who was stopped in Severn for weaving his car over the road, missed the officer.

The deputy was able to fire one shot at his assailant, but the suspect sped off.

Deputy Edward Wholey, of Annapolis, had just gotten off work when he was driving his sheriff's department car on Burns

Crossing Road near Council Oak Drive. in Severn about 11:30 p.m. when he spotted a BMW headed north on Burns Crossing Road and weaving across the center line.

After he turned on his flashers and siren, the deputy followed the car before it stopped "in the middle of the road" on Old Mill Road near Telegraph Road, said Lt. Chuck Nelson, a sheriff's department spokesman.

When the deputy got out of his car, the spokesman said, he saw that the driver of the BMW was standing outside his car. The driver then asked why he was being stopped.

As the deputy walked toward the driver, the motorist pulled out a handgun and fired five times. Authorities said the deputy was about 10 feet away.

Though stunned by the impact, Deputy Wholey was able to draw his pistol and fire at least one return shot before the gunman sped off in his own car.

Investigators were unsure whether the BMW driver was hit.

Deputy Wholey radioed for help and was taken to North Arundel Hospital, where he was treated for minor injuries and released.

Police broadcast a description of a black man between 20 and 30 years with a short bush hair style, who was wearing a black leather jacket and blue jeans. He was wanted on charges of assault with intent to murder.

"After we got to the hospital," Lieutenant Nelson said, Deputy Wholey "reached into his pocket and pulled out two $10 bills. There were holes in them from the impact of the rounds. He was going to play the lottery with the money.

"Now," Lieutenant Nelson said, "he thinks he already won the lottery."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.