Bishop John Russell
Led Richmond Diocese
Bishop John Joyce Russell, a Baltimore native who became the 10th bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Richmond, Va., died March 17 at St. Joseph's Home for the Aged in Richmond, where he lived in retirement.
The 95-year-old bishop, who had been ill with pneumonia, headed the Richmond Diocese from 1958 to 1973 and previously had served for eight years as bishop of the Diocese of Charleston, S.C. During most of Bishop Russell's tenure, the Richmond Diocese consisted of most of Virginia and eight West Virginia counties.
He was responsible for opening St. Mary's Hospital; St. John Vianney Preparatory Seminary; and Seton House Maternity Home for Unwed Mothers, in Richmond.
In 1967, he joined Cardinal Lawrence Shehan of Baltimore and 15 other Catholic clergy in asking the U.S. Supreme Court to outlaw state bans on intermarriage. Bishop Russell attended all four sessions of the Vatican II Council from 1962 to 1965 and was influenced by the Ecumenical Movement begun by Pope John XXIII.
He attended St. Charles College in Catonsville and received his master of arts degree in 1920 from St. Mary's Seminary. He later earned a doctorate in sacred theology in 1923 from North American College in Rome.
He was ordained a priest in Rome in 1923 by his uncle, Bishop William T. Russell, bishop of Charleston from 1917 to 1927. Beginning in 1937, he was pastor of St. Ursula's Church for nine years and later became pastor of St. Patrick's Church in Washington.
A Mass of the Resurrection was offered Monday at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond.
He is survived by one brother, Monsignor William Joyce Russell of Wheaton.
Dr. Yvonne Johnson
Dr. Yvonne E. Johnson, a native of Baltimore who was a cardiologist in Houston for more than 10 years, died Wednesday of cancer at a hospital there.
Dr. Johnson, 45, was a 1965 graduate of Edmondson High School, a 1970 graduate of Morgan State University and a 1974 graduate of the University of Maryland Medical School.
She did her internship and residency in New York City at Harlem General Hospital and Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center.
A staff member of three hospitals who also had two offices in Houston, she was a member of the Harris County Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the American Society of Internal Medicine.
Before leaving Baltimore, Dr. Johnson headed the Morgan chapter of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and was also a member of Macedonia Baptist Church, 718 W. Lafayette Ave., where services were conducted yesterday.
Her survivors include her parents, Irea and Albert Johnson Sr., both of Baltimore; a brother, Albert Johnson Jr. of Houston; two nieces; and a nephew.
Noting her support of the Chemistry Department at Morgan, where she had established a scholarship fund for female chemistry majors interested in medicine, the family suggested memorial donations to the newly renamed Yvonne E. Johnson, M.D., Memorial Scholarship Fund, Morgan State University, 1700 Cold Spring Lane at Hillen Road, Baltimore 21231. Ernest Niederhauser Jr., a planner of underground construction projects for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., died Sunday of cancer at his home on Bali Road in Ellicott City. He was 58.
He had worked for BG&E for 35 years and was a former president of the Baltimore Gas and Electric Association, an employee group. He also headed employee participation in March of Dimes walk-a-thons.
A frequent blood donor, he was a member of the Red Cross Five Gallon Club.
Born in Baltimore, he was a 1953 graduate of City College who then served in the Navy as a radioman for four years. He was a member of the Naval Reserve for 10 years.
He was a member of Emanuel United Methodist Church in Catonsville, where he was a volunteer driver for the elderly.
Services for Mr. Niederhauser were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the Leroy M. and Russell C. Witzke Funeral Home, 1630 Edmondson Ave. in Catonsville.
He is survived by his wife, the former Velna Jordan; two sons, Michael Ernest Niederhauser of Baltimore and Mark Eric Niederhauser of Westminster; two daughters, Dawn Eileen Dougherty and Julie Nicole Niederhauser, both of Ellicott City; a sister, Juanita Armstrong of Pittsburgh; and two grandchildren.
Sister Mary Charles Jackson, O.S.P., a former elementary school teacher and superior of the local community of the Oblate Sisters of Providence, died Saturday of cancer at St. Agnes Hospital. She was 82.
Sister Charles was superior from 1980 until 1984 after ending her teaching career at St. Cecilia's School, where she had been on the faculty since 1978.
In the 1967-1968 school year, she taught at St. Pius V School and had also been on the faculty there from 1942 until 1944, when it was St. Catherine's Academy.
She taught from 1950 until 1952 at St. Monica's School and in 1947 and 1948 at St. Frances Academy.
From 1938 until 1940 and from 1952 until 1955, she taught at St. Peter Claver School in Ridge.