R. Leiter FitzSimonsRan American BreweryR. Leiter...


March 18, 1993

R. Leiter FitzSimons

Ran American Brewery

R. Leiter FitzSimons, retired head of the American Brewery, died Friday at a hospital in Boca Raton, Fla., of complications after surgery.

Mr. FitzSimons, 77, had homes in the Elkridge Estates and in Gulf Stream, Fla. He headed the brewing company, started after Prohibition by his father and uncles. In 1967, its assets were sold to the Allegheny Beverage Corp., which closed the brewery in 1973.

The Evansville, Ind., native attended the McDonogh School before graduating from the Staunton Military Academy and George Washington University's Foreign Service School. He also studied at the Sorbonne in France.

He was an early supporter of efforts to bring major league baseball back to Baltimore.

A memorial service was to be conducted at 11:30 a.m. today at the Second Presbyterian Church, 4200 St. Paul St., Baltimore.

Mr. FitzSimons' survivors include his wife, the former Virginia Baldwin Morrell; two stepsons, W. Griffin Morrell Jr. of Baltimore and Bernard B. Morrell of Indianapolis; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Johns Hopkins Hospital, the American Heart Association or the Kidney Foundation.

Edward F. Sturm

Railroad engineer

Edward F. Sturm, a retired railroad engineer for the Davison Chemical Co., died Sunday of respiratory failure at his home in Marley Park.

Mr. Sturm, 83, retired in 1975 after operating railroad engines at the company's fertilizer plant for 25 years. The Baltimore native was educated at Holy Cross Parochial School.

He was an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist at the Roman Catholic Church of the Crucifixion.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9 a.m. today at the Church of the Crucifixion, 100 Scott Ave., Glen Burnie.

Mr. Sturm is survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Iona E. Gilbert; a daughter, Catherine E. Stewart of Marley Park.; two grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and 11 great-great-grandchildren.

William E. Lumpkin

Worked at GM plant

William E. Lumpkin, a retired assembly line worker at the General Motors Corp. plant in Baltimore, died Monday of cancer at his home in White Marsh. He was 82.

Known to many as Ed, Mr. Lumpkin retired in 1971 after going to work at the plant on Broening Highway shortly after it opened in 1936.

Born in Upright, Va., he movedto Baltimore in 1929 but lived in Upright in 1933 and 1934 when he was a member of the Civilian Conservation Corps, a Depression-era jobs program.

In 1946, he and his wife opened Lumpkin's Seafood and Produce, a grocery store in Canton. They closed the store, which also sold live poultry, in 1960.

Mr. Lumpkin was chairman of the board and president of the Men's Bible Class at the old Calvary Methodist Church, which was merged into Wesley United Methodist Church, where he was a board member and trustee.

He moved to White Marsh after he retired from GM.

Services were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at Wesley TC United Methodist Church, 200 S. Highland Ave. in Baltimore.

Mr. Lumpkin is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Beulah E. Gayle; three sons, William E. Lumpkin Jr. of Baltimore, Donald Lumpkin of Dundalk and Kenneth Lumpkin of the Loch Raven Village area; and eight grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial gifts to Wesley United Methodist Church.

Henry J. Gohlke

Westinghouse clerk

Henry J. Gohlke, a retired storeroom clerk for the Westinghouse Electric Corp., died Saturday of complications of heart disease at the North Arundel Hospital.

The 68-year-old Glen Burnie resident retired in 1988 after 11 years of service at the Westinghouse plant at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport. Earlier, he had worked as a tool and die maker for the Revere Copper and Brass Co.

The Baltimore native served in the Army in Italy during World War II. Services were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home in Glen Burnie.

He is survived by his wife of 40 years, the former Janice Gassaway; two daughters, Sharon Eakin of Glen Burnie and Janice Dean of Lothian; and a granddaughter.

Laurance F. Stuntz

Associated Press reporter

Laurance F. Stuntz, a retired Associated Press newsman, bureau chief and financial writer, died Sunday of pneumonia at his home in the Highfield House Condominiums in North Baltimore. He was 84.

Co-author of "The Speculator's Handbook" in 1974, Mr. Stuntz retired from the AP in 1973 after 38 years with the news service. His title at the time was world services financial editor in New York. He and his wife moved to Baltimore in 1984.

He was an AP correspondent in Mexico City from 1941 to 1944 and from 1951 to 1955 and was bureau chief in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 1955 to 1957.

A native of Vienna, Va., he began working for the Washington Post in the early 1930s, covering Maryland and later the White House.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.