Hospital set to release Reindollar Taneytown mayor had heart surgery NORTHWEST -- Taneytown * Union Bridge * New Windsor * Uniontown

March 16, 1993|By Traci A. Johnson | Traci A. Johnson,Staff Writer

Taneytown Mayor Henry I. Reindollar Jr. is expected to come home tomorrow from a Towson hospital where he had open heart surgery last week.

Mr. Reindollar, 75, was admitted to St. Joseph Hospital, where doctors performed quadruple-bypass surgery three days later.

In the procedure, doctors used veins from Mr. Reindollar's leg to bypass blocked portions of arteries in his heart.

"I'm as best as can be expected," Mr. Reindollar said yesterday from his hospital room. "To tell you the truth, I'm terribly tired."

Mr. Reindollar also expressed concern for his wife, Dean, who had stayed in Towson the first few nights of his hospitalization and commuted from home the other days.

She stayed at a Quality Inn near the hospital from Friday until Monday to cope with the blizzard.

"I sent her home," Mr. Reindollar said, noting that his illness has been an ordeal for his wife.

Mrs. Reindollar said her husband was scheduled to begin his surgery at 7 a.m. March 8, but was bumped back when an emergency patient needed care.

"He didn't go in until it was nearly 10 a.m," said Mrs. Reindollar, 68, who's been married to the mayor for 47 years. "He was so anxious about it, too. He wanted to get it over with."

Mr. Reindollar was in intensive care after the three-hour procedure and was moved to a regular hospital room around noon Wednesday, Mrs. Reindollar said. It wasn't until he awoke from a nap Sunday afternoon that Mr. Reindollar said he was "feeling more like himself," his wife said.

Mr. Reindollar is serving his fourth term as mayor in Taneytown, where he had been the town clerk/treasurer for 28 years.

He spends much of his time working at his business, Reindollar Hardware, across the street from Grand Drive on East Baltimore Street.

"How many people are there working 50 hours a week and being the mayor besides?" Mrs. Reindollar said. "He's going to need to rest."

City Manager Joseph A. Mangini Jr. said city staffers were looking forward to having the mayor back in town, but were expecting him to get plenty of rest upon his return.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.