Meade gets 1st berth in finals, 79-69 Boys Class 4A semifinals

March 12, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- Springbrook coach Bob Cilento said all week that for his Blue Devils to get past No. 9 Meade in the Class 4A state semifinals, they would have to contain Mustangs senior guard Derek Barrett.

But they didn't. Barrett scored 26 points and senior forward Danny Sancomb netted a team-high 27 to lead the Mustangs of Anne Arundel County to a 79-69 victory last night and their first state final berth.

Meade (21-4) will meet No. 3 seed Largo, which defeated second-seeded High Point, 83-76, in tomorrow's 8 p.m. final at Cole Field House.

"These guys don't surprise me anymore," said Meade coach Butch Young. "We worked hard defensively and didn't lose our cool and good things happened. Derek had a good game and so did Daniel."

The fourth-seeded Mustangs saved their best quarter for last as they outscored Springbrook 30-19 in the final eight minutes.

"The game was disappointing, but getting here and what we did to get here was highly satisfying," said Cilento, whose team had won 14 in a row before last night. "We just couldn't stop Sancomb and Barrett. They played super and they out-hustled us a little bit. I thought Meade just played a great ballgame."

The top-seeded Blue Devils (18-4) caught fire early and converted their first seven field-goal attempts to take a 15-6 advantage with 3:21 left in the first quarter.

The Mustangs answered with two three-pointers by Sancomb and Barrett to cut the lead to 16-12.

Springbrook returned the lead to seven with a three-pointer to start the second quarter and led by as many as eight before the Mustangs stormed back in the final two minutes of the half.

Senior guard Lester Steward prompted the Mustangs' late rally with a baseline jumper that brought Meade to 31-26 with 1:58 remaining in the half.

Meade's transition game -- which was non-existent in the first quarter -- created two uncontested layups for Barrett and Sancomb and narrowed the margin to 31-30.

The Mustangs closed the half with two foul shots from Barrett and a breakaway layup by Sancomb to take a 34-31 lead at the break.

The third quarter showed just how equally matched the two teams were, as the lead changed hands 11 times before the Blue Devils escaped with a 50-49 lead.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.