Pindell dies of apparent heart attack Annapolis fighter, 27, was 14-3 as pro BOXING

March 10, 1993|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Lightweight pro boxer George Pindell of Annapolis died of an apparent heart attack in the early morning hours yesterday after being rushed to Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Pindell, 27, who was considered a potential prospect and had gone 14-3 since turning pro in 1986, was spending the night at a friend's house in Annapolis and had retired at 11 p.m., according to his father, George Pindell Sr.

"George had a fairly normal day," said the elder Pindell.

"He was raking leaves at our house in the afternoon [Monday] and then went to check on a few cabs he owns. After that he went over a friend's house and was in bed around 11 p.m."

Pindell said his son started breathing very hard around 2 a.m. and "it expanded his chest and was going up and down while he was sleeping the whole time."

The paramedics were unable to revive him, and Pindell said "he was dead before he got to the hospital.

"I don't understand it because he wasn't sick, didn't drink or use drugs, and we have no history of heart problems in our family."

Anne Arundel Medical Center confirmed that an autopsy is scheduled.

Pindell's trainer, Charlie Holloway of the Harding Lowry Gym in Pasadena, was shocked upon getting the news yesterday morning.

Holloway started training Pindell as an amateur in 1982. The Annapolis High grad went on to win the 132-pound South Atlantic Amateur championship and was runner-up in the Mayor's Cup in Washington before turning pro at LaFontaine Bleu in Glen Burnie.

Pindell soon became a popular attraction with his southpaw style at such venues as Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie, the Pikesville Armory, Teamsters Hall and Martin's West in Baltimore.

"It was a real shock to me when his dad called," said Holloway, who last had Pindell in the ring on Feb. 10 at Martin's West.

That night with a shot at a big purse on the line, Pindell was run all over the ring by Dominican Pedro Saiz (14-0, nine knockouts), who won by TKO at 1:58 in the seventh round of their scheduled eight-rounder.

"If George had won that fight, it would have made him a contender for the world title, but he told me in the locker room afterward that he just couldn't get anything off," said Holloway.

"George was in real good shape and I didn't understand that fight just as I don't his death."

Pindell also is survived by his mother, Nola, a 26-year-old brother, James, and a 10-year-old sister, LaShawn.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.