It takes legwork and paperwork, but Americans can get married in Spain

March 07, 1993|By New York Times News Service

Q: What is the procedure for an American couple to marry in Barcelona or Seville, Spain?

A: Application for a civil marriage must be made in person to the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) in the city where you plan to marry. In Barcelona the Civil Registry is at 1 Paseo Picasso, and in Seville at Palacio de Justicia, Prado de San Sebastian. You must present these documents:

* An application obtained from the civil registry, or if the bride is Spanish, from the district court of the bride's residence.

* An original birth certificate stamped with an official seal and accompanied by a Spanish translation authenticated by the Spanish Foreign Ministry in Madrid: Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Departamento de Legalizacione, Plaza de la Marina Espanola. The authentication can also be done in person in New York at the Spanish Consulate, 150 E. 58th St.; the price is $21 a page.

* Proof that both parties are free to marry. As the United States has no such document, Americans must have a statement from zTC the American Consul in either city that the parties have sworn that they are single and free to marry.

* If either party is divorced or widowed, a certificate of divorce, annulment or death, stamped with an official seal and accompanied by a Spanish translation authenticated by the Spanish Foreign Ministry.

* A certificate of residence. For those who do not live in Spain, an affidavit executed before the American Consul indicating place of residence for the last six years and the address of one's temporary residence in Spain.

* A letter from the American Consulate explaining that in the United States those marrying are not required to post banns.

A religious ceremony may be performed only after a civil marriage. For Catholic marriages -- Spain is predominantly Catholic -- the parties must contact the bishopric of the area in which they will marry. In

addition to birth certificates and proof that they are free to marry, each individual must present a baptismal certificate issued within six months of the date they plan to marry and authenticated by the bishopric that issued it. The certificate must be accompanied by a Spanish translation. Once these documents are presented, the waiting period is then one to three weeks.

Q: We would like to visit Green-Wood and Woodlawn cemeteries when we are in New York. Can you direct me to organized tours?

A: Between April 4 and July 11 and again from Sept. 3 through November, there will be Sunday tours of Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, starting at 1 p.m. and lasting about two hours. Actually, there are three different tours, each of a section of the cemetery's 478 acres, led by John Cashman, who has been studying the history of Green-Wood for more than 45 years. One tour, of the northern part, includes the graves of DeWitt Clinton, Leonard Bernstein and Louis Comfort Tiffany.

A tour of the central section includes William "Boss" Tweed, Horace Greeley and Samuel F. B. Morse. For these tours, participants meet at the main gate, Fifth Avenue and 25th Street. A tour of the northern section includes the graves of Henry Ward Beecher, Alice Roosevelt and a number of Civil War generals (there are 38 in the cemetery); this tour starts at the gate at Fort Hamilton Parkway and McDonald Avenue. Tours are $5 a person, and reservations are not required. For tour schedule: (718) 469-5277.

There are two tours a year of Woodlawn Cemetery, in the Bronx, in late May or early June and in October. The tours, given free of charge, are led by Jeanne Capodilupo, the cemetery's public relations director. Dates have not been set; they start at 2 p.m. and last 2 or 2 1/2 hours. To be informed of the dates, contact Jeanne Capodilupo, Woodlawn Cemetery, Webster Avenue and East 233rd Street, Bronx, N.Y. 10470; (212) 920-0500. Among no

tables buried there are George M. Cohan, Oscar Hammerstein II, Victor Herbert, Fiorello H. La Guardia, J. C. Penney, F. W. Woolworth, Irving Berlin, Duke Ellington and Miles Davis.

Q: Last summer I flew Finnair from London to Helsinki and then Helsinki to Moscow. I did not get frequent flier credit for those trips. A Finnair representative told me the reason was that my trips were not across the Atlantic. Could this be true?

A: It is true. For U.S. residents to get credit under Finnair's Frequent Traveler Plan they must fly Finnair trans-Atlantic. Only then will flights within Europe be credited. Also, the tickets must be bought and issued in this country. The airline is currently revamping its frequent-flier plan and changing its name to Finnair Plus North America, effective in April. The airline has not yet decided whether it will change its policy on crediting flights outside the United States.

Q: I have not been able to get information on the Timberline

Lodge in Oregon. I believe it was shown in the movie "The Shining."

A: Timberline Lodge is set about halfway up 11,245-foot Mount Hood in the Cascades. The exterior of the ski lodge, constructed of huge hand-hewn beams and local stone, was indeed used in "The Shining." The interior scenes in the movie were shot on a set in London.

Sixty miles east of Portland, Timberline Lodge was built in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration project and is a National Historic Landmark. Skiing takes place year-round on the Palmer Snowfield.

The lodge has 60 rooms, ranging from $52 to $140. Skiing is $23 a day ($14 Monday and Tuesday in winter); night skiing is $7 Wednesday and Thursday and $12 Friday and Saturday. A three-night package including room, lift tickets and all meals is $290 a person, based on two sharing a room; a four-night package is $375. Timberline Ski Area, Timberline Lodge, Ore. 97028; (800) 547-1406; fax (503) 272-3710.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.