Aberdeen rolls over Dundalk, 72-45 Class 3A, Region II

March 04, 1993|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Contributing Writer

Aberdeen rolled out to an early 14-point lead and never looked back as the Eagles routed Dundalk, 72-45, in a boys Class 3A, Region II semifinal last night at Aberdeen.

Led by 25 points from guard P. J. Smith, the Eagles also got 19 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks from center Thomas Williams.

Both were huge factors as the second-seeded Eagles (18-5) ran out to a 22-6 lead in the first quarter. Smith scored 12 in the quarter and although Williams added only two points, he had intimidating blocks on two of the Owls' first three shots.

Midway through the second quarter, the Eagles' lead was 20 and growing. When the margin neared 30 late in the third quarter, Aberdeen coach Ron Petrey emptied his bench and never brought back his starters.

"We were really on tonight," said Petrey. "Sometimes you just get things rolling. I was worried we might have a letdown, but we were able to sustain it all the way through."

The Eagles will meet the winner of last night's EVT vs. Catonsville matchup in the regional title game tomorrow. Catonsville beat Aberdeen in the regional title game last season.

Last night, both Petrey and Dundalk coach Andrew Pons pointed to the Eagles' sensational first-quarter defense as the spark.

In the man-to-man defense, the Eagles' Ray Primas held Owls leader John Satterfield to just two first-quarter points and 11 in the game. But the rest of the Eagles did a fine job as well.

They held Dundalk (14-9) to 4-for12 shooting in the first half and 20-for-73 in the game.

"We knew that their defensive pressure would be tough," said Pons, who started just one senior. "They get a lot of their offense off their defense and we just didn't handle the pressure."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.