Goch pushes Bruins over Wildcats

March 02, 1993|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Broadneck's Mike Goch, a 6-foot-3 senior foreign exchange ** student from Germany, is not what you would call an impact player unless maybe you saw last night's 64-61 "mild upset" by the Bruins at Arundel.

Sophomore sensation Jason Smith had a game-high 27 points, including two clutch free throws in the last nine seconds, but it was Goch who was the difference.

The victory by the fifth-seeded Bruins (15-8) sends them to the Class 4A, Region IV semifinals at top-seeded Meade (18-4) tomorrow night. Meade had a first-round bye.

Goch is one of those players whose stats you don't notice until all is said and done, and even then, the numbers don't always tell the story.

Arundel (15-8) blew out Broadneck, 74-56, Saturday night in Gambrills to clinch the fourth seed and homecourt advantage for last night's game. In the victory, the Wildcats, who were enjoying their first winning season since 1979, got 14 points and 15 rebounds from their big man, 6-5 Rich Abrams.

Goch covered Abrams, and Abrams didn't move without Goch stepping in front of him and denying him the basketball.

Abrams had only eight points, four points in the first period and four in the final period, the last three coming with Goch fouled out. The Wildcats standout grabbed just 10 rebounds, four in the first period. Goch matched him in points (8) and had nine rebounds.

"Mike did a great job, really worked hard in fronting Abrams all night," said Broadneck coach Ken Kazmarek.

"He got backside help and we collapsed down on him and executed. That's why we won."

Goch got the help from senior teammates 6-5 Sean Ryan (six rebounds) and 6-3 Bill Kupina (five rebounds), who chipped in with 14 points each.

Broadneck led all the way and had a 10-point lead (35-25) at the half, and built it to a 16-point lead (43-27) before finishing the third period with a 52-39 lead.

Arundel came roaring back in the final period, outscored the Bruins 22-12 and cut the deficit to two points (56-54) with 1:40 left on three-pointers by Kevin Brown and Kevin Higgins (21 points).

Broadneck had pushed it to 60-55 with 37 seconds left. A free throw by Sean Soyars and another three-pointer by Higgins pulled the Wildcats within one at 60-59 with 22 seconds left.

Ryan and Smith, who left with four fouls and 2:44 to go in the third period and did not return until 3:44 left in the game, each made a pair of free throws in the final 13 seconds to ice it for the Bruins. Brown's field goal fell at the buzzer for the final margin.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.