Three men and two girls charged after drug raids

March 02, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

Five Carroll residents, including an alleged open-air drug dealer and two 16-year-old girls, were arrested when police conducted three simultaneous raids Friday night.

Kenneth Eugene Kutcherman, 23, described by members of the task force as a drug supplier and dealer around the open-air drug market at South Center and Charles Streets in Westminster, was held without bond at the county detention center.

He was arrested at his home in the 200 block of E. Main St. about 10 p.m., and was charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of cocaine, maintaining a common nuisance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Investigators said they found 20 grams of crack cocaine during the raid at Mr. Kutcherman's home.

Jason Edward Shepard, 18, of the same address, was arrested in a house in the 100 block of Charles St. with Charles Franklin Gaither Jr., 22, of the 6600 block of Sykesville Road. A .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol was recovered in the house, authorities said.

Mr. Shepard was charged with the same counts as Mr. Kutcherman, plus hindering police with unruly behavior during the raid, authorities said. Mr. Shepard was held on $10,000 bond, which was reduced from $50,000 at a bail review hearing yesterday.

Mr. Gaither, who arrived at the house in the 100 block of Charles St. during the raid, was charged with transporting a handgun in a motor vehicle.

Police said they recovered a .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol from his car after two police dogs sniffed the car. He was released on $1,500 bond Saturday.

Officers conducted the third raid in an apartment in the 100 block of E. Main St., but found nothing, they reported.

In the first raid, police said, they also recovered $800 and a large quantity of small plastic baggies, of the type used in drug trafficking. The raid was spearheaded by city police Lt. Dean Brewer and Sgt. Andy McKendrick, a city police officer assigned to the task force.

The juveniles, who were arrested in the first raid, were charged in Juvenile Court with possession of cocaine and were released to their parents, Sgt. John Burton said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.