Brothers are charged in fight with aunt, fiance

February 28, 1993|By Amy L. Miller | Amy L. Miller,Staff Writer

Tony Michael Calp and Jay Richard Calp are cousins. The relationship was reported incorrectly in Sunday's Carroll County edition.

The Baltimore Sun regrets the error.

Two Hampstead men were charged with battery after an argument they had with their aunt and her fiance resulted in family members throwing a television set, a small heater and a pottery vase at one another.

In the charging documents filed in District Court, Leo Leonard Ward of Graves Run Road said the fight began when Tony Michael Calp entered the home he shares with Mr. Ward, Shirley Mae Bull and Jay Richard Calp about 10:30 p.m. Feb. 20.


The house, near the Baltimore County line, is owned by the Calp brothers' grandmother.

The charging documents said Tony Calp, 21, threatened to kill Mr. Ward, 33, who had used an epithet to describe Ms. Bull earlier in the evening. Ms. Bull, 43, is Mr. Calp's aunt and Mr. Ward's fiancee.

The documents said that after Mr. Calp pushed Mr. Ward onto a couch, Mr. Ward ran upstairs to Ms. Bull.

When Mr. Calp followed and began punching him, Mr. Ward threw a television set at him, the documents said.

Mr. Calp then pushed Mr. Ward onto the floor and began kicking him in the head, back and groin, the documents state.

Mr. Ward escaped and called the police, after which Jay Calp began beating Mr. Ward with a metal fireplace poker, the documents state.

When Ms. Bull took the fireplace poker from Mr. Calp and asked him to stop fighting, Jay Calp, 21, picked up an electric heater to throw at Mr. Ward, the documents state.

Then Ms. Bull knocked the heater out of Mr. Calp's hand as Mr. Ward smashed a pottery vase over his head.

The brothers pushed Mr. Ward into the next room and began beating on him. Mr. Ward said he escaped and met a state police officer outside the home at the bottom of the driveway.

Sgt. Stephen Reynolds, a state police public information officer in Westminster, said the police report indicates that the four had been drinking at a bar earlier that evening.

Ms. Bull began to walk home, saying that Mr. Ward was too intoxicated to drive, the report states.

The report said Mr. Ward drove after Ms. Bull, picked her up near the house and drove her home.

According to state police reports, the argument began shortly after Mr. Ward and Ms. Bull arrived home.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.