Weather problems, a small fire in an abandoned building and problems with a heating unit at a Westminster department store kept firefighters busy in Carroll on Thursday night and Friday.
Fire equipment from the Reese and Westminster stations became stuck on a steep driveway in the 100 block of Gorsuch Road after they responded to a fire at 12:54 p.m. Friday.
A county roads department salt truck was dispatched, and firefighters carried buckets of salt to the stuck equipment.
The fire turned out to be a controlled burning, officials reported.
In other incidents:
* Units from Sykesville, Gamber and Winfield were dispatched to a house fire on Route 26 near Route 32 in Eldersburg.
Sykesville fire Capt. Eddie Rush said the 4:43 a.m. fire was confined to a mattress in a long-vacant house.
Firefighters extinguished the fire within a few minutes, but some firefighters remained at the house awaiting Deputy State Fire Marshal Frank Rauschenberg, who was called because the fire was of suspicious origin, Captain Rush said.
Two juveniles and a man will be charged with malicious #i destruction of property and malicious burning in connection with the fire, said Bob Thomas, an assistant fire marshal. He said the three, all Carroll residents, broke into the home to spend the night and started the fire to keep warm. The house has no electricity.
* Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester responded to a call to check a malfunctioning heating unit at Montgomery Ward's in the Cranberry Mall about 8:30 p.m. Thursday.
The companies were out for an hour and five minutes because they needed to check each of the four transformers on the store's roof, Westminster Volunteer Fire Company officials said.