Jacks fall as Hershey ends skid 4-goal 2nd period, goalie key 6-2 win

February 25, 1993|By Dan Sernoffsky | Dan Sernoffsky,Contributing Writer

HERSHEY, Pa. -- Nearly two months of frustration came to an end for the Hershey Bears last night as they skated to a 6-2 victory over the Skipjacks.

The Bears, who had not won at home since Dec. 27, got a pair of goals from Al Conroy and some outstanding goaltending by Stephane Beauregard in posting the win.

Bears center Al Conroy said: "The first period was a big one. Coming out of there 0-0 was a big plus for us. How important was the win? We could have been down 10 points. Now it's six. We've got to try to take advantage of them [Skipjacks] while they're short-handed."

Both of Conroy's goals came while the two teams were skating four-on-four. His first goal, midway through the second period, turned out to be the game-winner.

Skipjacks coach Barry Trotz said: "I was pleased. We did a lot of good things. We just stopped playing for about 10 minutes.

"Beauregard made some good saves. I thought we should have been up at the end of the first period."

With the Skipjacks trailing 4-0 at the end of two periods, Terry Chitaroni scored 1 1/2 minutes into the third period, but that was all Beauregard allowed until Randy Pearce scored with a little more than a minute remaining.

Conroy's second goal came at 11:31 of the third period and Chris Jensen scored 62 seconds later to give the Bears a 6-2 lead.

Beauregard stopped 33 of the 35 shots he faced in helping the Bears end a five-game losing streak, and an eight-game home losing streak.

The Skipjacks found themselves looking at a big deficit after the Bears scored four goals in the second period.

A short-handed goal by Hershey's Yanick Dupre at 5:56 of the second period broke a scoreless tie and triggered the outburst that left the Bears only 20 minutes away from ending a franchise-record home losing streak.

Dupre's goal was set up while the Bears were killing off a holding penalty on Eric Dandenault. With 20 seconds left in the penalty, Hershey's Wes Walz picked off a point-to-point Baltimore pass and pushed it across the blue line to Dupre.

Dupre picked up the puck just inside center ice, skated around Trevor Halverson and broke in alone on goaltender Byron Dafoe, getting Dafoe to commit to his left before pulling the puck back and tucking a little backhand inside the corner.

Just under five minutes later, the Bears made it 2-0 when Corey Foster unloaded a blast from the right point on a Hershey power play. Foster's shot beat Dafoe to the short side.

The Bears, winless at home since Dec. 27 and riding a five-game losing streak, increased their lead 71 seconds later when Conroy, with a strong individual effort against a back-checking Brad Schlegel in front of the net, slid the puck under Dafoe as the Skipjacks goalie went to the ice in an effort to cover the puck.

With the two teams skating four-on-four, the Bears opened the 4-0 lead on a goal by Bob Wilkie.

Len Barrie had skated the puck into the Baltimore zone, but in attempting to drop a pass to Chris Jensen in the slot, was upended by the Skipjacks defense.

The puck popped free in the tangle of bodies, and Wilkie, following up on the play, simply skated on to the puck and blasted it over Dafoe's shoulder.

Before Dupre's goal, the game had been dominated by defense and goaltending. Both Dafoe and Hershey goalie Beauregard came up big time and again in the first period.

Beauregard loomed especially big during a Baltimore power play early in the period. Dafoe starred late in the frame, particularly on a stick save on a semi-breakaway by Barrie in the waning seconds of play.

Skipjacks 0 0 2 -- 2

Hershey ..0 4 2 -- 6

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.