Wood stove heats metal panel to start Libertytown home fire

February 22, 1993|By Staff Report

A fire that started near a wood stove in the basement of a Libertytown home in Frederick County Saturday night caused $40,000 worth of damage to the dwelling, a state fire marshal said yesterday.

Twenty-five firefighters from Union Bridge, Mount Airy and Libertytown, Frederick County, brought the one-alarm blaze under control in about 30 minutes, Deputy Fire Marshal Jim Kittel reported.

A neighbor discovered the fire around 9:30 p.m., according to reports.

The owners of the two-story, wood-frame home in the 8700 block of Woodsville Road, Robert and Deborah Foster, were not home at the time, Mr. Kittel said.

The Fosters were renovating their home and had installed a wood stove in the basement, Mr. Kittel said in his investigation report.

A sheet metal panel had been installed behind the stove to protect the wall.

On Saturday, the heat from the stove passed through the metal, heated the wall, and the wall ignited, the fire marshal said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.