Annapolis stops Glen Burnie Boys basketball

February 20, 1993|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Seventh-ranked Annapolis (14-6) held off Glen Burnie (15-5) in the second half and posted its third straight win, 65-59.

The host Panthers dominated the first half, leading 40-22 at intermission, before the 18th-ranked Gophers came roaring back.

The loss was the third in the last four games for the Gophers. Glen Burnie had beaten Annapolis earlier this season, 67-62.

Annapolis had leads of 23, 21 and 19 points in the second period before the eventual 18-point margin at halftime. Much of the Panthers' first-half success was due to their domination of the boards, 16-7 in the first period and 26-14 at the half.

Rodney Watts, who had seven rebounds in the first half, was one of three Panthers with four rebounds in the first period. Larry Brown, who had a team-high 15 points for the winners, and Wendell Williams (nine points) were the other two.

A totally different Glen Burnie team came out on the floor in the

second half and outscored the Panthers 21-11 in the third period. The Gophers cut the deficit to 51-43 as forward Vernon Osborne scored 10 of his game-high 20 points.

The Gophers pulled within four points on five occasions in the last period, but couldn't get any closer.

"We really didn't play that bad in the second half, didn't turn the ball over," said Annapolis coach John Brady. "They just started hitting and took the opportunities we got in the first half away from us."

After losing the rebounding battle in the first half, the Gophers matched the Panthers at 8-8 in the third period and had an 11-5 rebounding edge in the fourth.

The Gophers' 6-foot-6 Jamal Forbes (12 points) didn't have a rebound in the first half, but grabbed six in the second half, as did Osborne. Bill Dykhuis, a 6-7 center, had five rebounds in the first half and finished with eight for the Gophers.

"In the first half, our offense was one pass, shoot and we didn't get the rebounds," said Glen Burnie coach Terry Bogle. "We dug ourselves a hole early, but we came out in the second half and started executing. It was a gut check and we proved we could play with them."

Shawn Mahaney, who had 15 points in the Gophers' earlier win over Annapolis, had only six last night, but made a key steal to set up William Brown's jumper with 1:26 to go, cutting the Panthers' lead to 62-58.

Annapolis, which shot just 9-for-19 from the free-throw line, got two big foul shots from Kelsey Watkins (nine points) with 48 seconds left to push its lead to 64-58.

After a timeout, the Panthers ran 23 seconds off the clock before Watkins went to the line.

In the waning seconds, Osborne missed a three-pointer and B. J. Gross (five points, eight rebounds) pulled in the rebound. Rocky Newton's free throw with 18 seconds remaining made it 64-59, and Gross scored the final point of the game at the line with three seconds left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.