Howard upsets Hebron, 39-38 Girls basketball

February 19, 1993|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Staff Writer

Howard earned a slice of girls basketball history last night.

Since Dave Greenberg took over at Mount Hebron 15 years ago, Howard had not been able to beat the Vikings. Howard coach Craig O'Connell, finishing his fifth season, had lost nine straight against Hebron.

But last night, four weeks after the No. 3 Vikings had destroyed the Lions by 39 points, No. 13 Howard pulled off a 39-38 upset.

Sophomore Mona Jackson scored only four points, but the Lions won't soon forget the shot she made with 43 seconds left. Jackson picked up a loose ball under the basket and made a lunging, off-balance hook shot to give Howard a 39-38 lead.

The Lions then sweated out the tense closing moments, as Jackson and Sharon Ford missed front ends of one-and-one opportunities that could have put the game away.

The game ended with the ball in Hebron's hands. After the Vikings used their final two timeouts while working the ball to midcourt, they in-bounded the ball with five seconds left, then watched Emily Yanero's difficult bank shot from short range bounce off the rim.

Kristen Lloyd grabbed the offensive rebound, and appeared to be fouled by Jackson just before the buzzer, but after a brief conference, the officials ruled time had expired.

"This is the most wonderful thing," said O'Connell, whose Lions (14-5, 8-3) ended Hebron's 14-game winning streak, handed the Vikings (16-3, 10-1) their first league defeat and avenged last month's 64-25 pasting at Hebron.

Howard also improved its home record to 7-0.

"When they [Hebron] had the ball with five seconds left, I knew they were going to run a play," O'Connell said. "They are so good at it. They're experienced at this [winning close games]. We're not. I had a feeling all along that this was going to be a good night. This is history. I'm going to enjoy it for a while."

Howard caught the Vikings the night after Hebron had broken fourth-ranked Hammond's heart by coming from behind late and winning in overtime, 60-58. The Lions' comeback was strikingly similar.

The game was tight from the outset, but midway through the third period, Hebron's Kristen Lloyd -- the hero against Hammond -- converted a short bank shot and a three-point play to give Hebron a 30-25 lead with 3:50 left in the quarter. O'Connell, sensing his team was about to falter, called a timeout.

The Lions responded. Ford, who scored 10 of her game-high 15 points in the second half, hit two straight jumpers to cut the lead to 30-29. Then, Emily Moore (14 points), who had gotten Howard started with eight points in the first period, hit a 15-foot jumper at the buzzer to put the Lions in front, 31-30.

The lead changed hands twice, before Erica McCauley (11 points) hit her third three-point shot to give the Vikings a 36-35 lead with 4:43 left. Yanero (10 points) then drove the lane for a layup to make it 38-35 with 4:06 left.

That was all the scoring Hebron would manage, as the Vikings missed two shots and committed two critical turnovers down the stretch.

Meanwhile, Moore cut the lead to 38-37 with 2:14 left on a 12-footer. Jackson, who had three assists in the second half, then made the game-winner.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.