Annapolis policeman wounded in raid Vests protect 3 others as drug raid turns violent

suspect also shot

February 19, 1993|By JoAnna Daemmrich | JoAnna Daemmrich,Staff Writer

An Annapolis police officer was shot in the abdomen and wounded, and three other officers narrowly escaped injury when a gunman opened fire in an apartment they were raiding for drugs early today.

The four members of the Annapolis Special Emergency Team, a tactical squad, were ambushed in the hall of an apartment off Clay Street, a known open-air drug market, city police said. The officers' names were not released because their families had not been notified yet, police said.

Three of the officers escaped injury because the bullets struck their helmets and protective vests. The injured officer, who was shot in the left thigh as well as the abdomen, underwent surgery at Anne Arundel Medical Center and was in stable condition today, said city police spokesman Lt. Gary Simpson.

Armed with a search warrant after conducting an undercover drug buy, the team broke down the door of the apartment in Town Pines Court at 1:18 a.m. As they began fanning out in the apartment, a teen-ager opened fire from a bedroom off the hall, police said.

The officers returned fire, wounding the gunman, who police identified as Daryl LaMonte Jones, 19, of Fruitwood Court, Bowie. Mr. Jones was treated for gunshot wounds in his left forearm and shoulder at Anne Arundel Medical Center and released into police custody.

He was being held today on four charges of assault with intent to

murder, one count of using a handgun in the commission of a crime and one count of reckless endangerment, police said.

News of the shooting stunned Maryland's capital, a peaceful city which has some drug problems but little violence. There were only two murders there last year.

"Fortunately, none of the officers were killed," said Mayor Alfred A. Hopkins. He credited the protective vests and helmets and the officers' training for saving their lives.

Annapolis Lt. Russell Hall also said the officers appeared to handle the situation well.

It was the first shooting of a city police officer since 1987, when Lieutenant Hall's brother, Darryle, also an Annapolis police officer, was wounded. Officer Darryle Hall is still with the police force.

"This is the most serious shooting of law enforcement officials in the city since then," said Annapolis Alderman Carl O. Snowden, who expressed concern about the increase in handgun ownership.

Maj. Jess Duncan, a police chaplain, counseled shaken officers today.

"Any time you encounter shots being fired, it's something that kind of grips you," said Lieutenant Simpson, the spokesman. "It brings the whole reality of your work home."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.