Gaels' speed gets best of Greyhounds for title Ice hockey

February 18, 1993|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing Writer

The Mount St. Joseph Purple hockey team yesterday showed a physical Gilman squad the importance of speed and passing.

Dan Callihan had two goals and an assist, and Thomas Weyermann and Zach Adams added a goal and an assist apiece as Mount St. Joseph Purple defeated Gilman, 5-2, to clinch the Maryland Scholastic Hockey League's Northern Division title at Piney Orchard Ice Arena.

The game was stopped with 5:04 left because of expiration of ice time at the rink.

Mount St. Joseph Purple, 9-0 in league competition, advanced to the league semifinals against Landon Prep next Thursday at 4:30 p.m. Defending champion Centennial, which topped Mount St. Joseph in the title game, meets DeMatha in the other semifinal Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. Both games are at Piney Orchard.

The championship game is set for Feb. 28 at the Capital Centre, after the Washington-Pittsburgh NHL matchup.

Mount St. Joseph's good speed and slick passing negated the physical effort of Gilman. The Greyhounds (6-3) tried to disrupt the potent Gaels offense (averaging more than 10 goals) with their constant hitting and nearly did, as both teams were called for 15 penalties apiece totaling 76 minutes.

"We knew coming in that we would have to work to win," said Mount St. Joseph coach Brother Bob Flaherty, whose team beat Gilman, 6-3, earlier this season. "Obviously, we weren't as big or physical as they are."

Neither Flaherty nor Gilman coach Bob Bulkeley can be on the bench for their team's next game -- a regular-season contest for each -- because their teams had 15 penalties.

Good passing set up for the first two goals for the Gaels. Joey Cremen (15 goals, 11 assists) got the puck to Adams (16 goals, 27 assists, team leader). He then slid a cross-ice pass to Weyermann (12 goals, 11 assists), who beat Gilman goalie Chris Utermohle (23 saves) from the left circle for a 1-0 lead 2:34 into the game.

Mike Maher (11 goals, 24 assists) and Kevin Lancaster (12 goals, 12 assists) combined for the second goal with 3:10 left in the period. Maher pushed the puck forward, and Lancaster skated around a Gilman player to get it. He then beat Utermohle from 10 feet for a 2-0 lead.

Callihan (15 goals, seven assists) used speed and timing to give the Gaels a 3-0 lead 1:13 into the second period. Coming out of the penalty box, he intercepted a pass near center ice, broke in alone on Utermohle and scored a short-handed goal.

Jason Griswold (10:10) and Tim Elliott scored for Gilman to cut the lead to 3-2 with 2:50 left in the period, and the Greyhounds' pounding appeared to be wearing down Mount St. Joseph.

Callihan stopped the Gilman rally, however, with a great individual effort. He dug out the puck near the boards, faked out two Greyhounds and put it in the far corner for a 4-2 lead with 27 seconds left in the period.

"The game was getting a little shaky," said Callihan, who then assisted with Weyermann on the final goal by Adams. "That's a decent team we were playing."

Mount St. Joseph, which outshot Gilman, 28-13, is a decent team, too. The Gaels possess plenty of experience and skill and overwhelmed most opponents this season.

"Most of us have been playing for 10 years," said Maher. "We've been playing together for two or three years. It's getting to the point where you look over your shoulder and know someone's going to be there."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.