Edgewood rolls past Aberdeen Boys basketball

February 18, 1993|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,Staff Writer

A buzzer-beating three-point basket by Alfred McAllister at the end of the third quarter fired up Edgewood, and the Rams went on to defeat visiting Aberdeen, 80-62, last night.

The win was the seventh in a row for the Rams (16-3, 11-1) and gave them sole possession of first place in Boys basketball

the Harford County League. The loss halted a seven-game winning streak for Aberdeen (14-5), a run started with a home 71-65 victory over Edgewood in their first meeting.

Both teams were sluggish through the first half, but cranked up their offenses in the third quarter, Aberdeen slicing a 10-point deficit to six at 54-48 before McAllister's shot.

The fourth quarter belonged to Edgewood's 6-foot-2 junior Kenton Worthington. With the team's two other big men, Dwayne Winder and Maurice Edison, on the bench in foul trouble, Worthington got his side's first basket of the quarter, played tough defense and handed out three assists.

In the process, the score went to 69-54 with four minutes left.

"The three-pointer was the catalyst," Edgewood coach Bob Slagle said. "We came out in the fourth quarter, Kenton got some good shots, and [Julius] Christy got me some good minutes while Edison was sitting down.

Rob Spencer started for Jamie Coons at guard, as Coons had been sick and missed a practice. So each wound up with 11 points, and the winners had six players in double figures.

"We were within six and had the first possession of the fourth quarter but then McAllister hit that shot, they got a couple of quick baskets and it was a nine-point game before we could adjust," said Aberdeen coach Ron Petrey. "We played as hard as we could, but tonight they had the better offense down the stretch than we did."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.