St. Joe wins 9 bouts, pins down Gilman Wrestling

February 13, 1993|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Contributing Writer

When Paul Triplett thinks about the Gilman wrestling team, his mind goes back to a cold day in 1990. That was the last time his top-ranked Mount St. Joseph wrestling team lost to the Greyhounds, dropping five of the final six matches and bowing by one point.

That's also why beating Gilman has taken on extra meaning.

Last night, the Gaels did just that, winning nine of 13 weight classes en route to a 36-24 Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference win at No. 8 Gilman.

The victory didn't come easily, but Triplett knew it wouldn't.

"We're everybody's big match," said Triplett. "We never get a break because everybody's trying to knock us off. We knew [Gilman] would be coming for us, since we've developed a nice rivalry."

After struggling in the early weights, the Gaels clinched the win with Kevin Neville's technical fall in the 171-pound class.

St. Joe completed its dual-meet schedule 12-0 -- its first undefeated dual-meet season since 1989 -- headed into next week's MSA championships. It was 9-0 in the MSA.

"Seeing these guys improve each match is the point," said Triplett, "but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nice to go undefeated."

To do so, the Gaels had to survive a Gilman squad (7-3, 5-2) which gave them a couple early surprises.

After Jake Lissau of Mount St. Joseph gave his team a 4-0 lead with an 11-3 major decision over Arman Taghizadeh in the 103-pound class, the Greyhounds got rolling.

First, 112-pounder Allen West surprised the Gaels' Mike Pyle with a pin 49 seconds into the match. Then, the Greyhounds' Gerard Harrison, ranked No. 2 by the Maryland State wrestling Association at 119 pounds, dominated his match against David Inkman, pinning him with 13 seconds left to give his team a 12-4 lead.

Then the Gaels took control.

First, 125-pounder Russell Fectau took down Mike Saunders three times in the first 2:45 en route to a 10-2 majority decision. Then teammate Tyran Dungee broke a 2-2 tie with Alex Slagle with a late third-period takedown giving him a 4-2 win.

After St. Joe won a forfeit at 135, the result of a recent left knee injury that kept Gilman's Damion Pizarro out of action, the Gaels had their first lead at 17-12.

After Mike Henke of Gilman took away that lead with a pin in the 140-pound class, Shane McCarthy, 26-3 and ranked third in the MSWA at 145, scored a technical fall over Gilman's John Bond. Seth St. Vincent followed at 152 with an 11-4 decision over Mike Kim, putting the Gaels in front, 25-18.

The most hotly contested match of the night occurred in the 160-pound class, where Gilman's Mark Shavers gave Danny DeVivo, the MSWA's top-ranked wrestler entering the match at 25-2, a scare before falling, 13-6.

Shavers scored on a takedown, escape and reversal to gain a 5-3 advantage midway through the second period. But DeVivo scored 10 of the last 11 points.

"I think it was something with my diet that slowed me down a lot," DeVivo said. "It threw me off. He was leaving a lot of openings, but I couldn't really take advantage."

Neville clinched the match at 171, scoring a technical fall after dominating Jamie Biddison through the first 4:38.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.