Nicholas G. Bruno, a retired Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. employee who had served in the House of Delegates and was active in the Knights of Columbus, died Monday at his home on Shannon Drive of complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 86.
Mr. Bruno retired in 1971 after 50 years with BG&E. From 1935 to 1939, he represented the Little Italy area in the House. A Democrat, he was a member of the Ways and Means and Chesapeake Bay Tributaries committees.
In 1973, the Baltimore Council of the Knights of Columbus honored the former grand knight for his work with the organization. He had been a member of its Cheese Club, the Charles Carroll of Carrollton Assembly of the Fourth Degree and president of the K of C Home Board, which owned the Alcazar Hotel.
The building was sold to the city, and is now Baltimore's School for the Arts.
The Baltimore native sold newspapers while a student at St. Leo's School and later took night courses at the old Maryland Institute on Market Place, City College and the University of Maryland.
A volunteer fund-raiser for Catholic Charities, he had been an altar boy and an early president of the Holy Name Society at St. Leo's.
For a time after his retirement, Mr. Bruno worked part time for Natessa Bookkeeping.
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9 a.m. today at the Shrine of the Little Flower, Belair Road and Brendan Avenue, where he was a lector and member of the Holy Name Society.
He is survived by his wife, the former Frances Andrzejewska; two daughters, Lenore Kantorski and Natalie Bruno, both of Towson; a son, Nicholas F. Bruno of Baltimore; a sister, Carmela Geiger of Baltimore; and a granddaughter.