NORTHWEST--Taneytown * Union Bridge * New Windsor * Uniontown

February 09, 1993

Man hurt in stove explosion reported in stable condition

A 34-year-old Taneytown man, who was injured when a wood stove he was painting exploded on Sunday, remained in fair and stable condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore yesterday.

Gary Bauerlein, of the 4200 block of Baptist Road, was taken to the hospital in a state police helicopter after the 4:15 p.m. accident.

State police said the victim was warming a wood-burning stove with an acetylene torch to apply a coat of paint when the torch went out.

As Mr. Bauerlein attempted to reignite the torch, built-up gases exploded, hurling the stove through the roof about 25 feet above, according to the investigating officer, Cpl. Kerin Anders.

The victim, whose head was protected by a welder's helmet, suffered severe injuries to his right hand, some chest injuries and first-degree burns.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.