Prisoner attempts suicide Suspect in 2 rapes is hospitalized

February 09, 1993|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Staff Writer

A 51-year-old prisoner being held on charges of abducting and raping two women last year tried to suffocate himself by tying a plastic bag over his head in the Howard County Detention Center Sunday, said the jail's director.

William Kirk Evans of the 13000 block of Rhapsody Lane in Silver Spring was taken to Howard County General Hospital, where correctional officers were guarding him, according to James N. Rollins, the jail's director. His condition was not immediately available.

At about 6 p.m. Sunday, two correctional officers making rounds to deliver medication found Mr. Evans in his individual cell with a bag over his head, Mr. Rollins said. He was then transported to the hospital.

A police report said Mr. Evans tied the plastic bag with a shoelace, and left a suicide note.

He was being held at the detention center without bond on charges of two counts each of first-degree rape, first-degree sexual offense, assault with intent to rape, kidnapping and burglary, police said.

When Mr. Evans, who is married and the father of a 5-year-old girl, arrived at the detention center in December, he was placed on suicide watch based on evaluations by a psychiatrist, Mr. Rollins said. He was recently taken off the suicide watch.

Police arrested Mr. Evans in December at a parking lot at a Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, where he was undergoing treatment for obsessive-compulsive behavior.

The senior systems analyst for the United Mine Workers Health and Retirement Fund in Washington was arrested after police found his Dodge Colt, which matched the description of the rapist's car in one attack. A fingerprint alleged to be Mr. Evans' was also found at one rape scene, police said.

In one case in which Mr. Evans is charged, a 19-year-old Dayton woman was raped about 10:45 a.m. May 14. Police said a man entered her unlocked home, blindfolded her, abducted her at gunpoint and drove her to an unidentified house and raped her.

Mr. Evans also is charged in the rape of a 22-year-old Mount Airy woman about 11 a.m. Nov. 23. A man armed with a rifle or shotgun entered the woman's home, tied her up, blindfolded her and forced her into a car, police said, then drove her to an unidentified house and raped her.

Afterward, the rapist drove the woman to Laytonsville, about 11 miles south of Mount Airy, where he released her.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.