HCC gets halfway to hiring goal Affirmative action progress reported

February 09, 1993|By Lan Nguyen | Lan Nguyen,Howard Community CollegeStaff Writer

Howard Community College has made it more than halfway to its goal of hiring more minority and female staff and faculty members, according to a new report.

The college has the highest percentage of female faculty members and the second highest percentage of minority faculty members among the state's two-year colleges, according to the Maryland State Board of Community Colleges' 1992 annual report.

The college met its goals in 17 of 30 categories, including those in executive, administrative and managerial positions, and nonsenior faculty positions, according to the report, issued at last month's Board of Trustees meeting.

But it failed to meet its goal for senior faculty positions, which are associate and full-time professorships.

College officials are pleased with the results.

"We've made tremendous progress over the past two years," said Carol Copenhaver, vice president and dean of instruction, crediting the change in the way the college recruits personnel.

Close to 75 percent of the college's full-time faculty members are women, and about 20 percent are minorities.

Five years ago, the college also ranked first in the percentage of women in the faculty, with about 70 percent. It tied for third in the percentage of minority faculty members, with 10 percent.

"To provide a good education to students, we need to learn to live in a world that is going to be diverse," Ms. Copenhaver said, adding the college has turned to nontraditional ways to hire faculty members, including writing letters to various organizations and community leaders to recruit minority and women candidates when positions become open.

The college's 5,000-members student body is 13 percent black, 5 percent Asian-American and close to 2 percent Hispanic.

College officials said they made the greatest strides in filling nonsenior faculty positions -- instructors and assistant professors.

The college increased the number of blacks in those jobs to about 19 percent, up from 13 percent last year. It also increased the total minorities in that category to 32 percent, up from 21 percent last year.

But the number of women in such positions dropped to about 76 percent, down from 82 percent last year. Women, as well as some minority faculty members, have left their jobs for better positions elsewhere, college officials said.

In senior faculty positions, the college missed its goals by as much as 18 percentage points. The college aimed to have 13 percent of such positions filled by blacks and achieved 5 percent.

The college intended to have 20 percent minorities in those positions and achieved 5 percent. Women fill 61 percent of those jobs, 18 percentage points below the college's goal.

The college uses an eight-point test -- which the U.S. Department of Labor recommends -- to determine whether it has a proportionate number of minorities and women in various jobs.

The college takes many factors into consideration, including the percentage of qualified minorities and women who can be recruited as well as the percentage who live in the surrounding area. Census data, 75 percent of it from the Baltimore-Washington area and 25 percent nationwide, are used setting the goals.

Susan Radcliffe, director of affirmative action, said it will take more time to meet senior faculty goals because the promotion track involves steps and projects that candidates must complete before they're considered qualified. Such projects include designing their own classes and implementing their own self-improvement plan.

"The process of becoming senior faculty is a fairly slow one, not just for minorities but for everyone," said Ron Roberson, an assistant professor who heads the college's Affirmative Action Committee.

In the future, college officials said, they will focus on giving support to minority and female faculty to retain them and perhaps on recruiting from outside for senior faculty positions to bolster underrepresented groups.

Affirmative action at HCC

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..1992.. .. .. .. ..1993.. .. .. ..Goal

Executive*

Minorities.. .. .. .. .. ..17%.. .. .. .. ...17%.. .. .. .. 15%

Women.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .57%.. .. .. .. ...63%.. .. .. .. 37%

Senior Faculty

Minorities.. .. .. .. .. .. 4%.. .. .. .. .. .5%.. .. .. ...20%

Women.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .59%.. .. .. .. .. 61%.. .. .. ...79%

Non-Senior Faculty

Minorities.. .. .. .. .. ..21%.. .. .. .. ...32%.. .. .. .. 16%

Women.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .82%.. .. .. .. ...76%.. .. .. ...51%

*Includes administrative and managerial positions

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.