Painter seriously hurt as torch ignites gases, stove explodes

February 08, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

A Taneytown man using an acetylene torch to warm the inside of a wood-burning stove while he was painting it was seriously injured yesterday when the stove exploded and went through the roof, state police said.

The victim, whose name was withheld by police, was flown to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore by a state police MedEvac helicopter.

Cpl. Kerin Anders of the Westminster barracks said the man was working in a barn behind a house in the 4200 block of Baptist Road about 4:15 p.m. when the torch went out while he was using it to warm the inside of the stove so paint would adhere to the metal.

As the victim attempted to reignite the torch, built-up gases exploded, hurling the stove through the roof about 25 feet above, Corporal Anders said.

The man, whose head was protected by a welder's helmet, suffered severe injuries to his right hand, some chest injuries and first-degree burns.

Fire and rescue units from the Harney and Taneytown stations assisted a medic unit dispatched to the scene. There was no fire, officials said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.