St. Frances works 2 OT in 62-61 win

February 06, 1993|By Bob Clark | Bob Clark,Contributing Writer

Jason Morgan's follow-up basket as time expired in the second overtime period carried St. Frances past No. 9 Calvert Hall, 62-61, last night in Towson.

The Cardinals had taken the lead, 61-60, on two free throws by junior forward Brian Taylor (game-high 22 points) with seven seconds left in the second overtime.

After a timeout, the Panthers (6-10 overall and 4-5 in the Catholic League) quickly moved the ball downcourt, where Orlando Ranson's baseline jumper was rebounded by Morgan, who laid in the game-winner.

"We went with the quick play," said Panthers coach William Wells. "I told Jason to hang around the basket and when Ranson's shot missed, it came off to him on the other side."

Said Calvert Hall coach Joe Baker, whose team dropped to 16-7 overall and 7-3 in the Catholic League: "St. Frances did the little things that you need to win. We just let the ball get down the floor too quick at the end, and when the ball got deflected, they came up with it."

A similar play at the end of the first overtime prolonged the Panthers' hopes. Calvert Hall had taken a 55-53 lead on jumper by Taylor with 35 seconds left. But a missed front end of a one-and-one by Greg Metrinko with nine seconds to go gave St. Frances the ball. Ranson missed a jumper, but Morgan, who had scored only four points in regulation, hit a follow shot to send the game into the second extra period.

Kevin McClain led the Panthers with 21 points, Alphonso Jones had 12 and Patrick Johnson added 11. Morgan finished with 10, six in overtime.

"Our attitude has started to get focused," said Wells. "We've been playing super well lately, especially on the road."

Taylor, who made 10 of 14 field-goal attempts, had also tied the game on a 17-footer with six seconds left in the fourth quarter to set up the overtime.

Calvert Hall trailed at halftime 30-28 and gained its first tie at 30-30 on Taylor's jumper early in the third quarter. There were five ties before going into overtime, where Morgan made the biggest shots of the night.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.