Binghamton defeats Skipjacks, 6-1, ties 55-year-old AHL mark

February 06, 1993|By Paul Stuart | Paul Stuart,Contributing Writer

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. -- With nothing more than a repeat of previous disappointments, the Baltimore Skipjacks dropped a 6-1 decision to the Binghamton Rangers last night at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena.

The Skipjacks, who have lost three straight going into tonight's game at Utica, are 0-7-2 against the Rangers with one game remaining between the teams this season. Binghamton leads the American Hockey League with a 36-5-6 record and 78 points through 47 games.

Binghamton, 20-0-1 at home, tied a 55-year-old AHL record with its 17th consecutive home victory. The record is shared with the 1937-38 Cleveland Barons. The home undefeated streak of 21 games is one short of the league record set by the Boston Braves in the 1971-72 season.

The Rangers, who have won five straight games and are unbeaten in 13 (12-0-1), scored three goals in the second period to take a 4-1 lead.

Mike Stevens broke the 1-1 tie when he went end to end, skating past two Baltimore defenders at the Skipjacks' blue line and beat goalie Duane Derksen over the left shoulder at 7:13 of the period.

Binghamton goalie Corey Hirsch had just made a couple of big saves against the Skipjacks when Stevens turned the tide.

"We didn't do anything wrong defensively. He [Stevens] just got it going in the neutral zone and got the shot," Baltimore coach Barry Trotz said.

"Hirsch makes a couple saves, and they come back and get the goal, what do you do?"

Binghamton coach Colin Campbell was still unhappy with the Rangers' play and called a timeout after the goal to straighten his team out.

"I didn't think we were playing very well at that point, and even though we scored it really was just a twist of fate," Campbell said. "I really wanted to call it more after we scored."

Craig Duncanson made it 3-1 when he scored his 18th off a pass from Chris Cichocki at 9:35.

It became a three-goal lead when Brian McReynolds scored his 18th on a rebound at 17:57. McReynolds won the faceoff to the left of Derksen, and Baltimore attempted to clear the puck behind the net and up the boards. Rangers defenseman Michael Stewart stopped it at the blue line. McReynolds tipped Stewart's shot into Derksen's pad and then banged in the rebound.

"Once they get up a goal or two up on you they don't let up," Trotz said.

Stevens scored his second goal of the game and 21st of the season 1:33 into the second period. Alexei Kovalev scored with one second remaining to make it 6-1.

As had been the case in several of the previous eight meetings this season, the Skipjacks played the Rangers tough early, coming out of the first period tied 1-1.

Binghamton dominated the opening eight minutes and went up 1-0 at 5:36 when Dave Marcinyshyn took a perfect pass from Alexei Kovalev, cut through the slot and beat Derksen.

Baltimore tied it less than two minutes later when Jason Woolley snapped off a shot from the circle that beat Hirsch to his stick side at 7:32.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.