Westminster man is charged, released on $2,000 bond in 0) trash container fire
Michael S. Spangler, 21, of Bishop Court, was arrested, charged and released on $2,000 bond on arson and malicious destruction counts Tuesday in connection with a fire in a Westminster trash container.
Two women sitting in a van on East Main Street early Monday morning saw a man throwing something into a Dumpster seconds before it burst into flames. Police said flames were shooting 5 feet above the Dumpster when they arrived. Police apprehended the suspect a short distance away after the
women furnished a description.
Seven fires in trash containers near residences and businesses along Main Street in Westminster since Jan. 27 have kept police and fire officials alerted for a possible arsonist in the area.
Mr. Spangler was questioned about the additional fires, but no charges were placed, police said.
Petty Officer Dupont helping Haitians
Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Lawrence E. Dupont is currently deployed aboard the destroyer USS Comte de Grasse, whose home port is Norfolk, Va., and is assisting the Coast Guard in carrying out U.S. policies to protect the safety of Haitians attempting to reach the United States by sea.
The task group's mission is to support the Coast Guard in conducting alien migrant interdiction operations and search and rescue at sea. The ships and their crews are prepared to provide temporary emergency assistance at sea, including medical care, shelter, sanitary facilities, food and other comfort items.
The task force will provide humanitarian assistance to the Haitians as long as this support is required by the Coast Guard.
Petty Officer Dupont is the son of Erma F. and Lawrence E. Dupont Sr. of Westminster. The 1987 graduate of Westminster High School joined the Navy in September 1988.
* Sandymount: Reese firefighters responded at 2:54 p.m. Thursday to a woods fire on Sandymount Road. They were out for 54 minutes.
* Silver Run: Pleasant Valley and Littlestown firefighters of Adams County responded 4:15 p.m. Thursday to a brush fire on Humber Schoolhouse Road. Units were still on the scene early yesterday evening.
* Westminster: Units from Westminster and Reese were dispatched to a house on Manchester Avenue at 9:16 a.m. on Wednesday when a valve on a 100 pound propane tank was leaking. The leak, discovered by a neighbor, was stopped by members of the fire station and the supplier was notified to correct the problem.
Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester fire units responded at 10:06 a.m. Wednesday to a report of a fire in a laundromat in the 200 block of East Main St. All units returned to service within 30 minutes.
A one-quarter-acre brush fire in the 1600 block Washington Road at noon on Wednesday kept Westminster firefighters busy for about 45 minutes.
Fire units from Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester were dispatched at 8:43 p.m. Wednesday to investigate a report of smoke in an apartment on Pennsylvania Avenue.
* Pleasant Valley: Two chimney fires reported within two minutes of each other kept fire fighters in north central Carroll busy early -- Wednesday evening. The first call at 6:15 p.m. at a house on Hughes Shop Road brought units from Pleasant Valley and Westminster. At 6:17 p.m. units from Pleasant Valley and Taneytown responded to a house on Richardson Road.