Mohr's shot at end lifts Cavs, 52-51

February 04, 1993|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,Staff Writer

Brian Mohr put back a rebound of Rich Reilly's missed shot with 11 seconds left, and Archbishop Spalding escaped with a 52-51 victory over John Carroll in a Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong Conference B Division game at Bel Air yesterday.

It was fitting that the winning basket came off an offensive rebound because Spalding dominated that phase of the game throughout.

The Patriots set up a final play, but Mark Heimerl got caught in traffic, and his off-balance shot hit off the rim with two seconds left.

Heimerl, who had 33 points in a win over St. Paul's on Monday but was bothered by a sore ankle, had just put the Patriots ahead 51-50 by converting two free throws with 25 seconds remaining.

The win was the fifth in a row and sixth of its past seven for Spalding (10-8, 10-2). John Carroll (14-4, 7-3) had won five in a row and 11 of its previous 12.

No more than six points separated the two throughout, with Spalding getting its lead in the first quarter, and John Carroll in the fourth, when it went ahead 45-39 with six minutes to play.

The Cavaliers, heavier and stronger inside, used two free throws and two rebound baskets to get a tie at 45, and a three-point play by Tim Alber made it 48-46 at 2:49.

The foul was the fifth on Myron Cole, John Carroll's season-long scoring and rebounding leader, and marked the first time the team had a player foul out this season.

Heimerl rebounded his own miss and scored to tie it at 48, Doug Little untied it from the baseline for Spalding at 1:30, and Brian Currey made one of two free throws with 50 seconds left to set up the finish.

"When they went up 45-39, I was apprehensive, but we have been playing better as a team of late and I think it showed," said Spalding coach Lee Dove.

Both teams had shooting spasms in the first half, when neither side could get a shot to fall.

"We had no intensity in the first half, and then I think we were intimidated," John Carroll coach Pat Goles said. "There were several times when they missed a free throw, then got the rebound. We didn't go strong to the basket."

This was particularly true in the final quarter. Reilly scored off two rebounds, one off a teammate's missed shot and one off a teammate's missed foul shot, in the six-point flurry that tied the score.

And, in the final minute, the visitors controlled the ball twice after missing the front end of one-and-one opportunities.

Spalding had four scorers in double figures, topped by Alber with 14. Cole, who played with a knee brace after aggravating a knee injury Monday, had 19 points before fouling out for the losers.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.