Westminster can't break Frederick hex, loses, 52-49

February 03, 1993|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Staff Writer

Visiting Frederick rallied from an eight-point, fourth-quarter deficit to come away with a 52-49 win over Westminster in a Central Maryland Conference boys basketball game last night.

Except for the opening Frederick basket, Westminster led throughout the contest until William Boys basketball

Huskey got a feed from Greg Thomas to give the Cadets a 51-49 lead with 45 seconds left.

It was the second time this season Frederick rallied from behind to defeat Westminster. In the two teams' first meeting in Frederick on Jan. 8, Westminster jumped out to a 8-0 lead only to come home a 67-58 loser.

Westminster (7-8 overall, 3-3 league) enjoyed 10-point leads in each of the first three quarters, but couldn't find the basket in the last quarter -- failing to score in the final 4:05.

At that point, Westminster had seen its lead slip to 49-43. Frederick (7-9, 5-3) scored the last nine points -- seven from Thomas, who finished with a team-high 18.

"You have to give them a lot of credit. They did it offensively and defensively," said Westminster coach Dave Byers.

"They made some tough shots while we made some bad decisions. We really didn't get any outstanding shots [in the final 4:10]."

Westminster did a good job getting the ball inside and scoring off transition in the early stages to build a 20-10 lead after one.

Senior Todd Dorsey hit for eight points in the first quarter and added seven in the second to give the Owls a 32-22 halftime lead. He finished the night with a game-high 19, but it wouldn't be enough for the Owls.

Although they maintained an eight- to 10-point cushion throughout the first three quarters, the Owls failed to put away Frederick and it came back to haunt them.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.