Marguerite RobertsState supervisorMarguerite Ida Roberts...


February 03, 1993

Marguerite Roberts

State supervisor

Marguerite Ida Roberts, a supervisor in the Retail Sales Tax Division of the Maryland comptroller's office, died Monday of cancer at her home in Severn.

She was 57 and had worked for the state for about 15 years.

The former Marguerite Ida Bone was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Glen Burnie High School.

She was a member of Epiphany Episcopal Church in Odenton.

Services were to be conducted at 9 p.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., Glen Burnie.

She is survived by a son, Frank Roberts of Severn; three daughters, Jo Lynn Schull of Severna Park, and Helen Wolf and Anne Roberts, both of Glen Burnie; and six grandchildren.

Brig. Gen. H. B. Hull

Long a NASA official

Retired Brig. Gen. Harris B. Hull, 83, of Bethesda, who had been a special assistant in five NASA administrations, died of a heart attack Friday at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington.

General Hull was assigned to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in 1963. After retiring from the Air Force in 1964, he remained with NASA until retiring in 1986. For most of his years at the agency, he had the title of special assistant to the administrator and concentrated on public affairs.

His active-duty career in the Air Force, and earlier in the Army Air Forces, was mostly as a staff officer. But for a time in World War II, after the Allied invasion at Normandy, he commanded the Air Crew Recovery Unit. It worked with members of the French Resistance, Swiss officials and others to arrange the return of American airmen who had been shot down or had been prisoners of war and had escaped.

He also flew on the first of the "shuttle raids" in which American B-17 bombers based in England attacked targets in Germany, flew on to land at Soviet-held airfields and then hit other Nazi targets on the way back to England.

The Williamsburg, Iowa, native earned a degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1930 and was commissioned as a Reserve officer. He worked from 1931 until 1936 as a reporter for the Washington Post, and began broadcasting its nightly news program on WMAL in 1933. He then did public relations for companies including what is now TWA until he was called to active duty in 1942. He remained in uniform for 22 years.

His marriage to the former Bernice Stephens ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Jeanne Lejeune Glennon, died last year.

Services for General Hull were to be conducted at 9 a.m. today at the Fort Myer Memorial Chapel, adjacent to the Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Survivors include two sons, Robert Archer Hull of Dallas and Harris Hull Jr. of Arlington, Va.; two daughters, Joan Stephens Hull of San Francisco and Louise Smoak of Bethesda; two stepdaughters, Katherine Meares of Versailles, Ky., and Ellie Harris of Edina, Minn.; and nine grandchildren.

Jack Lago

Dog groomer

Jack Lago, who had been in the dog-grooming business for nearly 20 years, died Sunday at Maryland General Hospital of liver disease.

Mr. Lago, who was 42, and lived on Loch Raven Boulevard in the Towson area, was the owner of Jack's Grooming at his death, and earlier was associated with Going to the Dogs.

Born Joaquin Lago in Newark, N.J., he served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and moved to the Baltimore area about 20 years ago.

Services will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at the Spezzi Funeral Home in Parlin, N.J.

Mr. Lago's survivors include his parents, Carmen L. and Joaquin Lago, both of Englishtown, N.J.; a sister, Lorraine Ried of Tinton Falls, N.J.; his companion, Sharon Gilden of Towson, and her children, Leith and Glenn Gilden, both of Towson.

Charles S. Anthony

BCCC secretary

Charles S. Anthony, a secretary at the Baltimore City Community College, died Saturday of cancer at Mercy Hospital.

Mr. Anthony, who was 26 and lived on Callow Avenue, worked at the college for about two years and had earlier done secretarial work at the Baltimore City Jail and for a printing company.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1984 graduate of Patterson High School who also attended the Strayer Business College. He earned an associate's degree at the community college.

He was a member of the Gospel Choir at First Emmanuel Baptist Church.

Services for Mr. Anthony will be conducted at 7 p.m. tomorrow at the First Emmanuel Baptist Church, 2209 Park Ave.

He is survived by his father, Nathaniel Anthony; his mother and stepfather, Darlene and Calvin L. Williams; a stepmother, Valerie Mines; five brothers, Louis Williams, Calvin L. Williams, Jr., Andrew Walker, Antonio Walker and Dontaion Madison; four sisters, Tiffany Anthony, Tyra Madison, Camille Williams and Nicole Williams; and his grandparents, James and Annie Anthony and Charles Dickerson, Sr. All are of Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.